Chapter Twenty Nine: Stay the Night [EDITED]

I finally have the energy after a week or so of lying in my bed to get up and move around. The treatment had been rough on my body and the doctor wasn't lying when he said it would take awhile to get back on my feet. My blood count was doing well, and I even had a bit of peach fuzz growing on my head.

I link my arm in Niall's as we creep along the hallway, taking in the glorious view of white walls and old people. I don't even care, something about being up and out of bed make me fell better, and I was so happy to feel better.

"That old guy was checking you out," Niall whispers in my ear and I laugh quietly. "Should I go back and set him straight?"

He jokes, and it has been a long time since I saw him joke around with me. He looks better too, his color back in his eyes and his hair is finally cut. He cleaned his clothes and changed his sweater, I kiss his hand and shake my hand continuing to walk.

"That's the old man who pee's in everyone else bathrooms," I say with a smile.

We hope that I would be released from the hospital within in the coming week, I just want to get back to living my life. My room is small and decorated with pictures that Jean had painted or colored, most of them were of her playing football. Some included Brad and even Niall.

I had seen my mother once, just after the transplant she came in and carefully kissed my cheek before wishing me well and leaving. She hasn't been back. Roger, (Or dad as it seems I should have been calling him but it was still hard to call him that.) Brought in flowers, and some magazines for me to read, Bradley joined.

They seem to be at peace with each other but nothing was ever what it seems with them, especially not anymore. It was like starting a life with new people, I have a second chance at having a dad, but I almost don't want one.

I had started a journal, letters to my dad each one explaining every day of my recovery. They make me feel better, maybe it was because paper couldn't judge my words or thoughts. I like that. Niall helps be back into bed before kissing me and leaving. Today was a big day for him, and for Bradley.

He was moving into the apartment, I wasn't exactly sure how well it would work but I wasn't going to make assumptions, they could do it and I knew they would for me. If they both wanted me in their lives they would work on their differences.

I lay awake staring at the ceiling hyping myself up for the offer that Coach had given me. I was excited to start, I may have started the year being a football player (and I still was) but I wasn't strong enough. I knew that, and I would work on that but for now this was as close as I could get.

-

-

-

Six weeks later

The sun kisses her skin for the first time in days and I smile at her beauty, she tucks the teal wig under her hat and walks carefully with me through the park. She had been released a month after her transplant. The first test bombed, her blood count was still too low and she was at risk for relapse. In time they rose and she slowly became Sarah again.

She hasn't looked this alive for months and seeing her this way was all I could have asked for. I smile at her not showing a hint of the growing confliction I was having deep down. I knew my mother needed me, but so did Sarah.

Now that she has a permanent position as a coach on the team she isn't about to leave, and I wouldn't ask her too. I'm not that selfish, I knew I had to talk to her about it soon because they were leaving for scouting tour in a few days.