Chapter Twenty Five: Hanging on [EDITED]

Chapter Twenty-Five: Hanging on

"He..." she barely can finish her sentence before I am pushing myself from the table weakly. She looks defeated as I start to turn away from her, catching Niall's gaze I stop. He pleads silently with me across the room to calm myself.

I sigh turning back to her, I rest my hands back on the table, my knuckles turning white. I look for a million words to say to her, something anything to yell at her but instead "Does he know?" leaves my lips angrily.

She doesn't answer though, she just looks past me into the darkness. "Mom!" I holler trying to hold back all my tears, biting my lip waiting for her answer.

"No," she barely says, choking on the words. "Sarah you can't tell him!" she looks at me with great sadness, tears pooling in her eyes. I've never seen her so low, "You'll destroy a family if you do!"

She fights back as if she has a right too, "Like you have?" I say backing away from her. She doesn't say another word and I quickly realizing that even in being caught red handed, she still cares more about her reputation than for her own children's well being.

I storm out as quietly as I can and find a red leather couch against the wall, I let myself sink into it hiding tears from people wandering back and forth.

"Sarah?" Brad's voice forces my face from my hands to look at him. "What's wrong?" he asks sitting down next to me.

He pulls me close as I start to sob, "Calm down," he pleads with me. I take a deep breath and sit back from him.

He looks at me so confused but still sure of himself and the conversation I sigh almost ready to continue as my mother steps through the door. A horrified look on her face tells me she's never told anyone the secret.

She shakes her head and tries to calm herself to keep from crying before she hurries over to the two of us. "Tell him."

I say it harshly and she could be the one to break everything like she always did. I will not be the bad guy in a situation that I cannot change. Niall comes in before anything is said and stops just behind my mother, he scowls at the scene in front of him.

"No," my mother bravely answers, I had tried so hard not to ruin the night.

"Sarah," Niall says "this is cruel, let's do this tomorrow when you've calmed down." Ignoring Niall I look at her, I can't stand the fact that she is doing this.

"Sarah please," he begs I look at him finally, his blue eyes begging me to come with him. I stand carefully making sure not to lose my balance as I move past my mother and look to Brad.

"I'll call you tomorrow, I promise." I say to him and my mother scoffs. Niall shakes his head at her action and looks at me pleading again to calm myself before I say anything. "Excuse me?"

"Sarah I know that you love to cause trouble, and make people feel for you but now it not the time to be playing around with people's lives."

She looks on me with an awful look on her face, that's the mother I know and hate. Niall throws his hands up in defeat knowing that she has stepped over a line, a line she's been walking for a very long time.

"Messing around with people's lives mom?" I laugh at her. I take a step forward, Niall grabs for the corner of my elbow gripping around my skin but I pull loose from it and stand in her face. "You've lied to everyone for years. What do you think was going to happen when I found Brad's father was donating his bone marrow to me?

I'm practically screaming at her now, so angry I could. Brad stands now, his dark hair pushed off his face, the look of confusion so present now. "What the hell are you talking about?" He asks.