Shuckface

Breathe, Emily thought as she was moving up in the shaky box, It's going to be over soon. It has to end. Emily sat and waited, breathing deeply, but started to feel sick from the jerky movement. She thought she was about to throw up then the box came to a sudden stop and threw her onto her back. Above her, the door started to open. Emily shut her eyes tight, as if something was going to attack her, but instead she heard voices.

What's that?!

It's... it's a girl!

What?! A girl?! Let me see!

Hey! Don't push!

Then a voice with an accent yelled, "Hey! You bloody shanks! Move out of the way! Let her have some space!"

Emily opened her eyes and saw a blonde 16 year-old-looking boy's hand out stretched to help her up. She froze. What the hell is going on?

The boy spoke softly, "Hey, come on, Greenie. I don't bite." Emily snapped out of her trance and then hesitantly took his hand and he pulled her up with ease. Emily looked around and saw something surrounding the area. A huge wall with opened spaces leading into a dark pathway. What was going on?

"Where am I? Who are you people? Why am I here? What's going on?" Emily asked rapidly.

The blonde boy chuckled, "Welcome to the Glade, Greenbean."

Emily looked at the boy with a questioning face when suddenly a dark skinned boy came up from behind him. Emily asked her questions again but to the other boy. He responded, "Okay, okay. One at a time, shank! Geez you're just as curious as Thomas! Anyways, like Newt just said, this is the Glade. We Gladers live and work here. We don't know why we're here, all we know is that the Creators sent us here. I'm Alby, by the way. And this is Newt," he said gesturing to the blonde boy, "my second in command."

Emily nodded, her mind still full of questions. Then Newt spoke up, "What's your name, Greenie?" Emily had to think about it until a name popped up in her mind, "Emily."

Newt smiled, "Okay, Emily, Alby's going to give you a tour now. Okay? You can save all your questions until the end." Emily nodded again but then she thought of something, "Wait. How come I don't remember anything about myself... except for my name?"

Alby replied as soon as she finished asking, "We don't know, greenbean. That's all everyone remembers when they come here. Now come on, let's get on with the tour. We don't have all shucking day."

********

"... and that's the Bloodhouse, where the Slicers work." Alby finished.

Emily gave him a questioning look, "Slicers?"

"Don't worry, Greenbean. When you start trying out the jobs that's when the job will be explained. Okay? Now let's go get your sleeping stuff set up. CHUCK! COME OVER HERE!" Alby motioned for a chubby curly haired boy to come over to him. Emily looked at the boy and noticed he couldn't've been older than 12 or 13.

Chuck came over, "Hey Alby. Hey Greenie."

"Find this Greenbean a place to sleep and then bring her over for some food." Alby instructed then he walked away.

Chuck motioned for Emily to follow him and as they were walking to the Homestead Emily had a question, "Hey... Chuck? How old do I look? What do I look like?"

Chuck looked at her, "Hm... I'd say you're 16. And you have light brown hair, green eyes, aaannndd you're kind of short. But not too short. If that makes sense. And I guess you're pretty..."