Let Me Go

Emily's eyes opened into slits and saw a blurred view of the cloudless greyish blue sky through the doorway. Her stomach grumbled, and she frowned. She slowly got into a sitting position, and when her eyes fully adjusted to the darkness, she noticed a figure sitting beside the entrance, looking down at the ground.

"Hello?" she whispered, trying not to wake up the others.

"Hey, Emily." The figure replied. Emily immediately recognized the boy's British accent and crawled over to sit in front of him. Both of them had their legs crossed and hands in their lap. An awkward silence was between them before Emily spoke up. "Uh... how is Min doing?"

Newt shrugged. "He's fine. Tough bugger. Clint got him patched up as best he could after you fell asleep."

Emily nodded and then it went back to silence. The girl looked up to see the blonde boy fumbling with his fingers and staring at his knee. Before she could turn away, his eyes looked up at her from behind his hair. The pair stared at each other, letting their expressions and eyes do the talking. Finally, their voices broke the silence.

"I..."

"I..."

Emily gestured to Newt. "You go."

"I... I think we should talk about... what happened between... us." He said quietly.

The girl sat up straighter. "I... what... what's there to say?"

"Er..." Newt shuffled closer to her and took her hands out of her lap and held them. To both of their surprise, neither let go. "I... Emily Gabrielle... there isn't any other way to put this but... I just have to get this off my chest. Agh... Emily. Ever since you came to the Glade, my whole world changed. You're my rock, and I need you in my life. Ever since that night, my whole world fell apart, and the thought of being without you pains me. I can't get through the darkness without you. Emily, you're my light. I.. I bloody love you."

Stunned, Emily stared into Newt's brown eyes. Newt was about to open his mouth, but Emily stopped him by crashing her lips to his. At first, it was slow but as it went on, the faster and more passionate it became. Their lips moved perfectly together, and Emily was now sitting in Newt's lap. His hands were on the small of her back while hers were tangled in his blonde hair. Smiles were present on both of their mouths. Minutes later, Emily was the one that broke it off. Newt's eyes were fixed onto Emily's before she moved off of his lap onto the cold hard floor.

Emily bit her lip. "I... Newt... I'm sorry."

Newt looked at her with confusion. "What..."

"I'm sorry. I... shouldn't have done that."

Hurt filled Newt's eyes once more, and his gaze was longing for an explanation.

Emily cleared her throat and tried not to let the tears trickle down her cheeks. "I care about you too, Newt, so much that I want to keep you as safe as possible. Physically and emotionally. The only way that I can keep you safe is if... we don't have a relationship like this. I need you to... stay away from me. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to you during one of my Flare freak outs. If we keep our distance, it'll cause you less pain if something happens to me. Same goes for me but about you. Hell, it would be better if I left all of you. You... have to try to let me go."