Runner?

Throughout the week Emily was trying out all of the jobs around the glade. Today was the last job and she was working as a med-jack with Clint.

"Like this?" Emily asked as she showed Clint her finished cast.

Clint looked at it, impressed, "Wow Emily! You're really good at this! Most guys don't get it on the first try."

Emily beamed, "Thanks!"

She was... not the best at the other jobs she tried.

She was too clumsy to be a builder or a bricknick, too grossed out to work as a bagger or a slicer, the food she made looked edible but it actually tasted really weird, and she didn't really have the skills to be a track-hoe (Emily was a little disappointed by that; Newt worked with the Track-Hoes every now and then). She thought for sure that she was going to end up as a slopper until she tried out med-jack. She was proud of herself for finally being good at something (and relieved) but Emily also felt kind of disappointed.

When Alby was giving the tour he said something about runners. That sparked her interest but she found out that she couldn't try it out since you have to be recommended by someone. Oh well, Emily thought, at least I'm good at something. Maybe I could ask Newt about being a runner.

********

When she was done for the day (the med-jacks didn't really have anything else to teach her or make her do) she went to look for Chuck. She hadn't asked him about what he was giggling about when she was walking to get her dinner on the first day. After looking around the whole Glade, she found him in the bathroom, cleaning.

"Hey Chuck!" Emily greeted.

Chuck didn't seem to notice her when she came in because he yelped, loudly.

"GAH!! Oh, Emily. It's you. Don't scare me like that! This bathroom is creepy enough as is."

Emily chuckled, "Haha sorry Chuck."

The boy put some rubber gloves in a bucket, "So what's up?"

"I wanted to ask you why you were giggling behind me on the first night when we were getting dinner."

Chuck looked clueless for a second and then he suddenly remembered and started laughing.

Emily was confused, "What? What's so funny? What was it?"

"Hahaha... I.. I... think that... that... Newt likes you!!" he kept on laughing in between his statement, "And and I think you like him too! Do you?"

Emily was a bit stunned and embarrassed, why would Newt like me? She started to blush and she couldn't stop it. Chuck's mouth turned into a large grin, "YOU DO!! NEWT AND EMILY SITTIN' IN A TREE! K-"

Emily quickly covered his mouth before he could continue, "Stop it!" She heard a muffled 'sorry' and then she let go of his mouth.

"So I'm right. Right? You like him too!"

Emily was hesitant. She could trust Chuck, right?, "Um...uh... yeah." She could feel herself blushing again, "But how do you know that he.. likes me back? He's just being nice."

Chuck got giggly again, "It's obvious! He acts a whole lot different around you! Plus, I heard him tell Minho! They were arguing about Minho being rude to you and it slipped out!"

Emily was taken aback by this information and she was regretting telling Chuck that she liked Newt.

"Anyways, that's all I've gotta say. I have to finish working now but I'll see you at dinner! I'll be sure to save spots beside each other for you and Newt!" he smirked.

Emily rolled her eyes, "See ya, Chuck."

********

She sat down under 'her tree' and started to think. Did Newt really like her? Did he really say that he liked her? Emily was too busy thinking that she didn't hear someone sit down beside her.

"Hey, shank." a voice said.

Emily looked beside her and it was Newt, "Oh! Hey Newt. What are you doing here?"

"Thought you might need some company." he smiled.

Emily smiled back and accepted his offer. The two talked and talked until dinner and it was probably the happiest she had felt ever since she got to the Glade. When it was time to eat the two got up and he turned to her, "Hey, wanna eat together?"

Emily's face started to feel hot, "Oh! Uh.. sure! With Chuck and Thomas and Minho, right?"

Newt started to blush a little bit too and stuttered, "Oh, uh, I was wondering if it could just be us? Y'know, since we were having a lot of fun talking."

Emily smiled and nodded, she was too speechless to say anything.

Newt smiled back at her and the two walked to the building for dinner.

********

It was near the end of dinner and Emily hadn't asked Newt about becoming a runner. She was a bit nervous about it but then she thought, eh, what have I got to lose?

"So, Newt?" Emily questioned.

"Hm?"

"I was wondering... well... could you maybe talk Minho into mak-"

Newt cut her off and looked at her sternly, "No, Emily."

"But you don-"

"I know what you're going to ask," Newt sighed, "and I'm going to bloody make sure that you won't become a runner. It's too dangerous. I don't want you getting hurt."

Emily frowned, "Do you think I can't do it? I can take care of myself, you know."

"I know that you could do it and I know you can take care of yourself. It's just..." Newt looked away, "never mind. Don't think about it. Please?" Newt paused, "It's getting late. Better get some sleep, We're going to decide on your job tomorrow, by the way. Goodnight."

Newt got up from the table and left. Emily just stared at him until he went out the door and then she herself got up and started walking.

I have to be a runner, she thought, I have to prove Newt wrong. But how?