Bro

Emily

"And then I, uh, left and ended up finding Clary and Tobias." I finish.

Clary raises her eyebrow. "You're saying you just ditched everyone when they fell asleep? No messages? No nothing? What about that guy you like? Nothing for him?"

I gulp. "Yep."

Clary studies me with unconvinced eyes and then drops her gaze to Tobias, who is sleeping on my lap. Drool starts to drip down his chin and he snores quietly.

"Well," Mrs. Park wipes a stray tear from her cheek. I wonder why because tears first started to form in her eyes when I mentioned the people in the Glade. "I should take Toby to bed. Oh, Clary," She turned her head to her face her daughter, "can you set up a bed for Emily?"

Clary nods and walks towards the door. She turns and motions for me to come follow her. I say goodnight to the two women and the sleeping boy and then follow Clary to her room. There's nothing much, just a concrete room with a sleeping bag and a few possessions around it. The light flickers occasionally, making the room seem even more ominous than it already does.

I wait patiently by the door while she sets up a sleeping bag for me. Once she finished, I thank her and drop my bag beside it and sit down on the sleeping bag. Clary sits on her sleeping bag, which is across from mine, and stares at me. I bite my lip and look around. Finally, she speaks.

"Okay, the last part of your story is bullshit."

I give her an offended look. "Excuse me?"

"Don't try to fool me, dude. I can tell that you didn't just leave everyone. Spill or else I'll have to use some other methods..." She whips out her dagger and threateningly displays it to me. Then she smirks, "Just kidding. But seriously, what happened? You seem kinda shaken up about it."

I take a deep breath. "I.. uh..."

The girl smiles and rests her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands. I roll my eyes and explain what happened, leaving out the kiss and the fact that I'm not immune.

"Wait," She purses her lips. "I'm still confused. Why did you leave?"

I look around the room, as if someone was watching, and scoot myself closer to her. "Promise me you won't tell anyone?"

"Promise. Here." She spits onto her palm and holds out her hand for me to shake. I laugh and then realize that she's serious. I slowly spit onto my hand and then connect my palm with hers. I immediately take my hand away and wipe it on my pants. Her eyes plead for the answer and I try to swallow a lump in my throat.

I clear my throat. "Uh, I'm not... immune to the Flare."

All she responds with is a simple "Oh." The twinkle in her eye dims and her features fall.

Guilt builds up inside of me. "I'm sorry... I can find somewhere else to sleep."

I gather up my stuff and as I'm about to exit, she stops me.

"No. No... It's okay. I... yeah. It's fine. Whatever." She mumbles.

I nod and lay the sleeping bag on the floor. When I look up, tears are streaming down her face. I call her over to sit beside me on my sleeping bag and she takes up the offer. I tentatively put my arm around her and, to my surprise, she lets me. I rub her arm and then she looks up at me and sniffles. We break apart so we face each other. I ask if she's okay and she nods.

Clary wipes the tears that collected above her lips. "My dad was... he was never at home. He always had work and he had to go all around America for his job. Whenever he came home, I was always so happy. I mean, of course. I got to spend time with him. But uh, long story short, after the sun flares and after the Flare started to affect people, turns out... he wasn't immune. I was only six when he left. He didn't leave anything. No note, no goodbye, no anything. My mom's heart was broken and it really hit my family hard." She sucks in a breath and then exhales. I rub her shoulder and then she continues, "Six months after that, my brother is taken away from us. Before those WICKED shitheads came into our house, my brother pushed me into a closet under our stairs and locked it. By the time I got out, he was gone."

I'm speechless. We stare at each other and then her mood changes and so does the subject. "Well, lookie at the time," She points to my watch. "Let's go to sleep. Gotta get up bright and early for some Right Arm stuff."

I nod and we both shimmy into the sleeping bags. For a while, we stare at the lightbulb and our soft breaths are the only sounds in the room. I turn my head to look at her and see that she's fast asleep. Beside her head, I notice a picture with five people. Without much thought, I swipe it and scan through the faces. The man in the back had a wide smile and he stood beside a woman, who I assume is Mrs. Park, who has an equally, if not bigger, smile. In front of them stands Clary and her brother. Clary's black hair is tied up in two high pigtails and her smile is so perky, I barely recognized her.

I sympathize for the family. What was once a strong and happy family is now a broken one. I shake my head. Even though I met this family just now, well for the first time again, I can see how hard they're trying to pick up the broken pieces and become strong again.

My eyes trail to her brother and when I look at his smirk, my jaw drops.

I know who he is.

********

The Boys

As the group scrambled out of the room, an explosion was heard above them. Chunks of cement fell from the ceiling to the ground, nearly crushing a few gladers.

"MOVE IT HERMANOS!" Jorge yelled as he ran for the exit. Many followed but Brenda grabbed Newt's and Minho's wrists and dragged them in the opposite direction, deeper into the building and towards the cranks. Seconds later, a huge crash echoed throughout the hall. Newt glanced back and realized that a wall of broken building separated them from everyone else.

"What the shuck?!" Minho shouted.

"Shut up if you don't want to die!" Brenda shouted back as she dodged falling debris. Once a group of cranks were a few meters away from them, Brenda whipped out her dagger.

Newt found a steel rod and swiftly picked it up and readied it behind his back like a baseball bat. Minho put up his fists, not having found a weapon. Newt gulped as the group of crazies became bigger but he didn't flinch.

The trio charged towards the swarm of cranks.

********
Author's Note:

Thank you for 1.5k reads!! Halfway to 2k! ❤️

- Rach(: