You Missed

"Emily!" Newt ran towards the door but was stopped by an invisible barrier that threw him back. He got up and frowned. Minho walked to his side and patted his shoulder.

"We tried talkin' to him but he said he wouldn't talk until he was ready. Whatever that means."Minho sighed. "Don't worry man. You'll be with her again."

Newt gave him a sad smile and then walked back to the boys' dorm, picking up two apples and a bag of mixed nuts on the way. He sat on the first bed he saw and began eating. The boy tried to pace himself since he saw other gladers puking after eating too fast.

Minutes later, the last bite of an apple was munched and the last of the nuts were crunched on and Newt was laying down on the bed and decided to nap. 30 minutes passed before he woke up and he was more jittery than he'd ever felt since they left the maze. 45 minutes before he slept, the man told everyone that they would have to wait for that long until he would answer their questions. That meant there was only 15 more minutes until he got the chance to see Emily again. 15 more minutes until he got the chance to stare into her mesmerizing green eyes. 15 more minutes until he got the chance to hold Emily in his arms. 15 more minutes until he might get a chance to...

Newt shook his head at the thought, his stomach filled with butterflies which caused him to find a distraction. He looked around the room and saw a group of boys playing a game with nuts from the food pile. Newt walked over and joined the game, hoping that the time would pass by fast.

After the sixth round of the game, Newt stretched so he could see the man in the dorm across. To his surprise, the man placed his book down on the desk and reached into a drawer and pulled out a Manila folder which was densely full of unorganized paper. The British boy called all the boys to see the man and everyone gathered around the room.

"Alright," The man started. "I have been instructed to give you this information so please listen carefully."

The man talked about WICKED, the group that had put them through everything. He talked about a virus called the Flare and how they all had it... but some gladers were immune while others were not. The man wouldn't tell who was immune or not. Yes, Newt probably should have been listening but most of his focus had been on Emily. She had not moved for the duration of their time there and he was starting to get worried.

The man informed them of their instructions for the next morning. "Phase Two. The Scorch Trials. This will begin, officially, at six o'clock in the morning. You will come into this room and a shimmery gray area, a Flat Trans, will be found on the wall behind me. Each and every one of you must be through it five minutes after six. Once again, everyone must be through the Flat Trans five minutes after six. Do you understand?"

The room was silent, the boys looked at each other with confusion and fear.

The man rolled his eyes, "I know that all of you heard me and that you have ears." He asked the question again, but slower. "Do... you... under...stand?"

Everyone murmured their yeses and yeahs and the man continued the instructions. "Good. Now, once you go through, you will need to find open air. After that, you will need to head 100 miles due north to make it to the safe haven in a fortnight. By the end, Phase Two will have been completed and you will be cured of the Flare. If you don't make it, you will probably end up dead... eventually."

Once the man finished the instructions, the gladers started to argue and spit out a bunch of questions. The man did absolutely nothing.

Minho rolled his eyes and muttered, "For shucks sake..." He raised his voice, "SHUT UP. This shuckface ain't gonna answer your klunk head questions so stop wastin' your time."