We Made It

"Emily." His voice was scratchy and barely audible.

The girl stood motionless and shocked. Was this really her... dad?

"What'd you say, shank? How do you know him?" Minho asked Emily.

"I..." She was interrupted by the man whose hand was slowly inching towards her face. The girl tried to move but she couldn't. The man's dry hands touched her cheek and the insane look in his eyes dissipated. His features softened and he repeated her name again.

Hesitantly, she said his name. "O-Oliver?"

He nodded eagerly at his name and spoke slowly and softly. Emily's ear was pretty much an inch away from his mouth. His shallow breaths were warm against her skin, causing her to shudder. "Em...ily. Find mom. Find Vic..tor..ia. Right Arm."

The girl scrunched up her nose in confusion at his words. Her head turned and their eyes met again as she questioned him. "What do you mean? Where can I find mom?"

Oliver shook his head violently as he tried to fight off the Flare. He was unsuccessful, as the craziness overcame him, making his eyes look psychotic once again. He was wild-eyed and staring at the dark clouds above.

Emily felt a pang of pain as she witnessed her dad like this. She tried to snap him out of it again. "Oliver! Dad! It's Emily! Your daughter!"

She was ignored and he started whispering.

"What? What did you say?" She asked, panic in her voice.

His eyes widened and his hand latched on to her arm with an iron grip. Emily tried to shake it off but the man wouldn't let go. He kept on muttering and she picked up some words: storm, terror, away, people, mom. Still confused, she leaned closer to his face and asked for him to repeat it once more.

Some words were still inaudible but she understood what he was trying to say without them. "Storm coming... full of terror... stay away.... bad bad people.... have to... find.... mom."

Before Emily could respond, his eyes were at their widest and brightest as he yelled the same word over and over again. "Storm! Storm! Storm!" Spit flung onto her face and she managed to break out of his grip then trip back into Minho, who was just as confused and stunned as she was. The Asian boy helped her to her feet and the gladers were frozen while they watched Oliver rock back and forth, repeating "Storm!". The more the man said the word, the more intense the storm became. Dark clouds had created a barrier between the gladers and the sun. A hurricane-strength wind roared in their ears, blew sand at their skin, carried supplies away, and whipped their hair in all directions.

Everyone went crazy and screamed. Minho waved his arms in the air and shouted until everyone was huddled together. Emily's gaze caught her dad in the sand in a fetal position with foamy spit flowing out of his mouth. She decided it would be best to leave him as he might be vicious and attack them. Emily turned her attention back to Minho and saw him pointing at a building that looked at least half an hour away if they maintained a good pace.

The gladers ran with all their might. Emily stayed behind as the sweep and her stomach twisted and turned. This wasn't grievers but this... this was something. She took one more look back at her dad and saw his silhouette in the distance. His hand was in the air, as if saying goodbye, and that was the last of him that she saw before he was engulfed by sand and darkness. The girl held back tears as she ran. Only one thing that he said really stuck out to her.

Find mom. Right Arm.

********

They were halfway there. Come on, Emily. The girl encouraged herself. Almost there. Almost there.

Suddenly white flashes of light zapped onto the ground all around her. One of them appeared in front of her, throwing her back. She stood back up with a painful ringing in her ears and started to jog forward. Emily stopped at a crater with something smoking in it. The girl tentatively leaned over the crater and vomit almost made it out of her mouth at the sight of the glader who laid there. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to remember his name. Jack.

His leg was completely obliterated. Tar-like blood oozed out from the wound and his body was withering with pain. The lightning burned off all of his clothes, leaving him naked and exposed. His hair had disappeared and there was an odd star shape in his pupils.

Before she could do anything to try to save him, someone grabbed her arm. Her eyes darted to the person and she realized that it was Minho. A look in his eyes told her to leave Jack. There wasn't anything they could do. Emily reluctantly obeyed and followed Minho. The ringing still echoed in her ears but she tried to block it out. The only thing she had to focus on was surviving.

More blasts of lighting appeared, knocking out several more gladers. Body shaped lumps slumped on the sand, unmoving and gushing out blood. Suddenly, a part of her wanted one of the bodies to be Thomas's. She shook her head at the morbid thought and continued to run behind Minho.

Once they were three-quarters of the way there, another strike of lightning came down at them. This time, it hit the boy in front of her. She yelped as Minho was covered in flames and frantically trying to put them out.

"MIN!!" She yelled. "STOP! DROP! AND ROLL!" She cringed at her choice of words but who really cared? One of her best friends was pretty much the human version of a burning marshmallow.

Unexpectedly, he took her advice and started rolling in the sand. It helped, but not as much as he wanted it to. Fire burned all around his body and Emily wasn't sure of what to do. Then, out of no where, someone threw large amounts of sand onto the brightest parts of the flames. The girl turned her head and Minho's saviour turned out to be Thomas. Once the fire was put out, he lifted Minho up and his arm around his shoulder. Groggily, the Asian boy put his arm around Thomas.

"Come on! Get on the other side!" Thomas instructed Emily. She quickly ran over to the other side of Minho and Thomas and her supported him until they reached the door of the building.

As soon as they reached their destination, Aris swung his elbow into the already cracked glass door and the remaining gladers swarmed into the room.

Emily and Thomas carefully let Minho down. He groaned in pain. She looked around the room and waited for the flashes of light to show her each of the faces of the people who were there. Their numbers went down, for sure, but at least some of them had made it through that hell of a run.

Her eyes met with Newt's as another flash of lightning illuminated the room. She gave him a small nod, and to her surprise, he returned it.

The girl turned her attention back to the burned boy and lightly ruffled the top of his head. "We made it, Min."