Chapter II

| Prince Harold |

"I can't believe you were talking with the Prince today! The Prince, Lizzy!" Lily screamed and jumped around my room. "I can't believe he was the Prince. He seemed so normal, so down to earth."

*

"Holy hell!" I whispered. Should I curtsy or something? That's why Lilly behaved so weirdly. I'm talking to a Prince! I just told him I hated his country's social events. That's like telling
the President you didn't want to come to his White House affairs.

"I've been so rude today. I am truly sorry if I offended you in anyway-"

"No, it's actually refreshing to have someone like you around." He laughs. "Someone who isn't afraid to share their honest opinions on things and talk to me like I'm a normal person." He reveals. "My grandmother would love you."  We slowly stroll around the fountain until he picked the perfect spot to perch our bums and talk.

"Maybe one day you could meet her."

"You're inviting me to meet the Queen of England?" I couldn't believe all that was happening. What the hell is going on, Elizabeth? I'm talking to the grandson of a Queen and King. The King and Queen. The same Queen I did my high school senior research project on- Oh my gosh. "I am. Hopefully we stay in contact. You'll be here until..?"

"Permanently." I whisper, trying not to think about what awaits for me if I ever moved back to New York. "Don't be shy now, I liked the louder more opinionated you." He chuckles, bumping my shoulder a bit. I laugh and realize that he was right. "You're right, just shocked is all." I say. "I do think my family is waiting for me though." I add, looking towards where Lily popped out a few seconds ago. It wasnt that I didn't enjoy his company. He was plenty delightful, I just didn't want to hold the Prince. Maybe he wants to be with the guests? Or- or maybe he's grown tired of me and is just too kind to tell me so. 

"Not that I don't want to stay and talk with you, it's just-"

"No, I completely understand. It is quiet rude of me to hold you captive for such a long time. It would  truly be my pleasure to walk you to your car." I was about to agree until I remembered something. "One second!" I said holding up my index finger. I sat back on the edge of the fountain and put my shoes back on that I took off sometime during my time here. "Wait a second." Harold says as I stand up finally.

He walks over towards me and stops right in front of me. I suck in a breath as he gets closer and raises his hands. I feel his hand pushing a strand of hair behind my ear and I let out the breath I was holding in. 

This feels pretty intimate. He's so close to me. Elizabeth, breathe!

"God, I thought you were going to hit me." I said. My eyes popped open in embarrassment as I realize that I said those words out loud. Christ! I see his face twist in confusion. "Never." His voice stern. "Why would you believe me to hit you-"

"May we please go?" I ask, turning away from him. Holy baby christ. I can't believe that just came out of my mouth. What in the world is wrong with me? Have I officially gone mad?

"As you wish."

Once we exited the secret garden, I swear everyone's eyes were on us. I flinched under some of the stares while Harold seemed oblivious. One group of girls in particular gave me looks of death. 

I've read a countless amount of  fictions on-line, in my adolescents,  where there always seemed to be a group of popular girls that just hated the main character. I always believed it to be silly, but look-y here. Seems as though life is imitating art.

Their eyes made made me want to run and never look back, but I put my head up and continued walking as if I didn't see them. I knew how to fake it to make it. One time of my life, it was the key to survival.

Suddenly, the Prince halts. "Isn't her dress wonderful?" Harold asks the same group of girls. Oh sugar plums! He was calling them out! I didn't even know he saw them. 

"Absolutely beautiful." The tall blond one commented. A fake smile crossed her face and the other girls faces as well. "I agree. It's very elegant." another one said. 

"Thank you." I whisper back at them, I still didn't feel good about them. "I really must go, my family has probably been waiting for ages." I say turning back to Harold. "This little run-in was nice, but the lady is right." Harold said waving as we walked away, never breaking the polite smile on his face.

"They are complete b-words." I say, lowly, after we get outside the party. "I agree with you, 100%." He laughs and opens the car door for me. "I hope to see you at my father's boring birthday party tomorrow night?" He inquires, raising a wickedly, wild and thick eyebrow. 

"Absolutely. Maybe we can go hunting for more secretive spots!" I whisper the last part, not wanting my family to hear me. "I definitely look forward to it, Elizabeth." With that I climb in, he shuts the door, and the driver pulls away.

*

"I've only met him twice in my lifetime, but when I did meet him, he did seem to be more laid back then the other gentlemen that are in his circle." Lilly says, changing to a "more relaxing dress" as she puts it. "Mum was surprised you actually talked with him until I explained to her that you were truly ignorant to who he was." We both laughed until there was a knock on my door.

"Sorry we had to all leave the party early. I started feeling quite sick." Georgina says walking in. "Well why are you here if you're sick? Why aren't you in bed, at home?" I asked, confused.

"Well when someone messages you that their cousin was snogging the Prince, at his secret, not so secret, location, I had to come!" she says excitedly jumping onto the bed.

"So tell me all about it! Good kisser?" She says, leaning in. I smile, thinking back to talking with him. "Firstly, we never kissed." I said shooting a stern look at Lily, who only shrugged. "We only talked." I said, trying to hide my smile. "No big deal."

It truly wasn't a big deal. I'd only meant him hours ago and we talked for maybe 30 minutes, or 45, or 50. Truthfully, I lost track of time. Doesn't matter! I don't know him that well to develop a crush! He is handsome but you do need to actually know someone to like them.

"No big deal, my arse!" George says. "Get this! He asked her if he'd be 'seeing her around'!" Lilly squealed. "Guys! Calm down! It's not like we're dating! I simply had a conversation with him. We aren't even friends, yet." I say trying to down play how happy they were making me feel. I honestly need to calm my heart.

"That's how it all begins. You meet the Prince, he falls madly in love with you, you get married and have babies to take over the throne! Ah,  I'm so excited!" Lily says jumping on the bed now. I just laugh at how absurd she's being. "I used to think you were level headed but I can't say I believe that anymore." Lily scolds and plops down as Georgina laughs. "Now I'm going to have to go to Prince Robin's birthday party, sick or not." Georgina sniffles.

"Oh no, please don't tell me that I have to dress in a gown and more heels." I say lying back across the bed.  Not exactly too upset about it. "That's exactly what it means." Georgina says. "You must go to your father in law's birthday bash!" she added. "And I have the perfect gown to catch your prince charming's eyes." Lily says.