Chapter VII

| Declan |

Elizabeth's POV

"Elizabeth." I hear Harry say from behind me and I sit up straight. I was very aware of the hairs on the back of my neck standing. Oh my gosh, how much has he heard? He places his hands on either on of my shoulders and pulls me into his chest. "Is that him?" Zayn asks from the other end of the phone.

"Yes, I have to go but I promise to call you later." I say, sniffling. "Alright. Love you." Zayn says. I can hear anger and concern both deeply embedded in his voice. "I love you, too." I hang up the phone and relax more into Harry's chest. "Shh, it'll be alright." he coos, rubbing my back soothingly. I don't know why, but being held by him just felt right. It felt like we fitted perfectly together.

When I finally calmed down, I look up to see Harry searching my face for some type answer as to why I was crying. "Can you tell me?" He whispers. No... I don't want you to know who I really am. Regardless of what my brain is saying, I decide to follow my heart. He deserved to know. Especially if I plan to have him around for a while. Elizabeth, you must tell him. I silently nod my head "yes" and guide him towards the backyard. Once we were outside, alone, (thank god for the high wooden fence, George surrounded our yard with) I tell him everything that I could think of. Even my last moments with my best friend.

*

"Ready to run, Elizabeth? Try to forget about him and live a normal life. As normal as you can." Zayn says looking at me directly in the eyes. "He won't know where to look for you. I don't think he'll think to check London. Now go before you can think things over and change your mind."  He's smiling lightly, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "Oh Zayn," I wrap my arms around him and let the tears drop from my eyes. This was the last time I'd see my best friend for a while and I wasn't ready to leave. "But Zayn, I could just stay with you." I say, trying to bargain. I knew that wouldn't exactly be the safest route and I knew he'd find me but I didn't want to leave Zayn. "I could- I.."

"That's the first place he'll check. You know he thinks you and I are a thing. Remember what he did to you?" he spits nastily. I knew that Zayn wanted to beat the living hell out of Declan with every fiber in his being ever since he found out that Declan was beating on me, but I made Zayn promise that he wouldn't.

"I need to be assured that you're safe and the only way that's possible is if you leave this country." Zayn whispers with seriousness. I knew that this was as hard for him as it was for me and that made me want to cry even more. I hugged onto him tightly, never wanting to let go. "Zayn, I'll miss you." I said, sniffling. "You know. I'll miss you, very much." He said kissing the top of my head.

My flight was called on the intercom and I knew it was my time to go. "Call me as soon as you land." Zayn said as I walked away. "I love you." I whispered, not turning back. "Love you too, Lizzy." he shouted.

*

"So only Zayn knows about Declan's abusive history with you?" Harry asks. "Yes, I only told everyone over here that we broke up for undefined reasons. I was too afraid to tell anyone about him." I said looking out into the darkness in front of me. It was a windy night, very chilly. I shivered while sitting in one of the chairs on the back deck. "Here." Harry said, taking off his crew neck and putting it on me. It was super big in size, so it reached to about my mid-thigh.

"You look extremely appealing, Ms. Brindle." Harry chuckled when my head popped through the neck of the shirt. "So tell me more about the specifics. When exactly did you come over to Great Britain? How did you sneak out of your boyfriend's home? Do you not have anymore family in America where you could've stayed?" Harry asks me, holding me in his arms. "Well my father passed away two years ago, but before he did he sold his business and left all of his money for me so when he actually did pass away I wouldn't have to rely on anyone else." I say, thinking back to the time with my dad. I miss him so much. "So why didn't you just buy your own apartment or move in with your friend.."