Chapter IV

| Emma Thatcher |

"Mum, I'm not going. Leave me alone now." I say from the other end of the door. I was currently sitting in my room reading once of my favourites, The Great Gatsby, and trying to ignore my mum's irritating voice. "Emma, it's been a week since you've been to an event! What will everyone think?" She squeals from the other end. "Mum, I don't care. Nothing you say will get me to move. I want to be alone." I stay shutting the book and lying down. I can't concentrate on the story, so why read it?

My mum mumbles something incoherent before stomping away. And she tells me to act like an adult. Once the front door closes, I sneak out of my room and into my sister's nursery. "Margaret, you may go home. I can watch her from here." I smile sweetly and she nods understandingly. All week it's been the same thing. When my parents leave for an event or dinner out, or something, each night, I secretly tell Margaret, Emma's nanny, to go home.

"Maybe tomorrow you will leave the house." She jokes. "Maybe, Margaret."

Once Margaret leaves, I take 1 month old Emma out of her crib and gently rock her in my arms. "Hello sweet, sweet child." I coo. "I know mum should be home with you but you'll get used to it and I'll be here for you." I say in that silly voice you talk to babies in. "I love you little Emma." I start feeling nostalgic about my past and sit down in the rocking chair with her.

*

"You really are worthless aren't you?" Declan sneers when we get back from the hospital. "You can't even give me children." He slams the door and stalks over towards me. I know what comes next, "Declan please don't-"

*Smack*

"Declan please don't hit me! Shut up!" he mocks me before punching me in my eye. "You would think after f.ucking you twenty four, seven that it would produce something! Do you know how hard it is to do that? Huh? I can't stand seeing you and I have to pleasure you, as well? You make me sick." he spit on me after I was slung across the ground. "And then you go and flirt with the doctor at his office! He. does. not. want. you! No one does! I don't even want you, I just pity you." I cry, hardly, at the pain he's causing me. Physically, mentally, and emotionally. Do you know how hard it is to hear someone who's suppose to be your best friend, who is suppose to love you through thick and thin, say something to you like this? And to top it off I just had a miscarriage.

"Declan please, I get it. I'm sorry, I was wrong. It won't happen again." I whisper, cradling my sore ribs. I can feel my face swelling up in different spots and I know that my arms and legs will have bruises on them. Looks like I'm missing another week of college.

"Oh baby, I'm so sorry. Liz-bear, I didn't mean to hurt you. It's not your fault." And just like that, his face breaks into one of sadness and he cradles my head in his lap. I begin crying for our lost child and because I don't want to be near him. "Shh, shh. We will try again and again until we finally can have a little bundle of joy."

I think I cried the most out of relief. Relief that we didn't have a baby to bring home to this torture. Who knows how he would have treated him. Yes- it was a boy. "Here, let me help you to our bed. You need rest and maybe some tea or soup." I hated how Declan can be as sweet as pie in minute and by the next, he's ready to beat me black and blue.

I let him help me up the stairs and into our bed, I don't oblige. I didn't need his sweet persona to change. "Now you stay still. I'll go grab something to eat from your favourite restaurant and bring it home for you." he says kissing my forehead. "Thank you, love." I whisper, my throat didn't feel strong enough to really talk.

I listen for him to leave the house and shut the door before the sound of his car starting and driving away before getting out of bed. I swiftly walk across the room and shift the dresser to the side as much as I can, before crouching to the floor.

I lift up one of the floor and grab my secret box that contains my digital camera. Something I bought with the money daddy left for me when he passed. At the bottom of the box were 2 more 8 gig memory cards filled with the same pictures that I was about to take.

I slightly let a tear slip as I looked over my bruised body. "Oh my god." I gasp, looking at the big bruise I had over my lower abdomen. I cry a bit for the lost of my baby before I begin to take pictures of different angles of my body.

"2 more weeks." I say looking at myself in the mirror. I'm counting down to the day he goes away for a business trip with one of his clubs at school.

I'm counting down to the day I make my escape.

*

"Shh, shh." I whisper as she begins to cry. "Hey, it's alright. I'll get you some food to eat. How does that sound?" I smile and tap her nose. With her in my arms, I make my way into the kitchen and find her an already made bottle of milk Margaret must have left of the counter for me. I pop the cap off the bottle before giving it to her and she quiets down immediately, making little inaudible noises.

I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I wasn't going to look at it, like I haven't all week, but I finally decided that I should look through everything that I've missed. Maybe Zayn tried contacting me. I sat down on the couch in the family room and propped Emma up against a pillow, so she wasn't completely lying flat on her back, held her bottle with one hand, and reluctantly checked my phone with the other hand.

Georgie:

Wish you were here xx

I responded telling her I was spending quality time with my sister and maybe I'd go to the next charity event. You know you have no intentions on going to another one of those things!

I was going to set my phone down when it vibrated again.

Lily:

I think the Prince is looking for you! And not Prince Robin! ;) x

My stomach drops when I read through the message again. It's not that I've been avoiding Harold, I've just been not answering his messages or calls.... avoiding!

I don't text Lily back, but I do go through my missed messages. A lot of them were from Lily trying to get me to go to the next social event. Thank god I didn't read those. Some more of them were from Georgie asking me how I've been and I felt terrible for not responding to those. Some others were from unknown numbers but I saved them as I read who they're from.

Louis:

Hey, Elizabeth Brindle this is King Louis. Save my number, I demand you!! x

Niall:

Lily talks 'bout u pretty much all of the time, so u must b a cool person! That's the craic! Save me numba! -Niall x

Liam:

Hey 'Lizabeth. This is Harry cousin, Liam. I'm sorry about that Taylor incident, I wouldn't worry about her too much. Anyway, save my number would you? x

The other messages I read were from Sophia and Eleanor telling me to call them so we can have a shopping day or just hang out more. I really did like them, they seemed so sweet.

There were only 2 messages left, and unknown number and Zayn. Before I could click on either one of them, my phone started to ring. Emma was sleeping again and I didn't want to wake her so I hurried to pick the phone up.

"Hello." I said. Nothing. "Hello?" I repeated. A faint sound of laughter came through the phone right before it clicked off. "Bloody kids." I muttered to myself before going back to my messages.

Zayn:

I miss you too damned much! Please call soon. xx

Whoever sent the last number didn't identify themselves clearly, but my heart surely did drop after I read it.

:

You left me standing in the rain. I thought that only happened in movies. I need to see you, Eliza. xxx