Chapter 13. The First Date

I sucked in a breath, looking at my reflection in the mirror. I was wearing a red, strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline that went down to my mid-thigh. 

I had my hair straightened, which made it go to about half an inch above my butt. My shoes were black heels that made me the height of 5' 8". I had my makeup as a smoky eye with bright red lipstick. I was wearing all black jewelry that sparkled when light hit it. 

I grabbed my black clutch that contained my phone, wallet, and license. Cameron texted me five minutes ago, saying that he was going to be here in exactly seven minutes. 

He had two minutes left. I walked out of my large bedroom and made my way down the hall, going to the staircase. 

"Anna, is that you?" I heard my mom call. I sighed and continued my descent down the stairs.

"Yeah. Is there something you want, Mom?" I called back as I went into the kitchen.

"Your father and I wanted to talk about colleges with you." she replied. I stopped in the entryway of the kitchen, looking at her as she scurried around the island.

"Mom. I told you that I'm going on my date with Cameron. He leaves tomorrow, so this is my only chance with him." I said, feeling a slight anger inside of me that she didn't remember. My mom stopped walking around, then looked at me.

"You have a date with Cameron? Anna, I thought we asked you to stay away from him. That boy is bad news. Do you remember what he did this summer?" she asked, placing a hand on the island. I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms.

"Mom, he didn't do that. I did. He was just taking the fall for me. And for your information, he's not bad news or whatever. He's a good guy." I said, stepping towards her. 

"You've skipped school twice because of him!" she exclaimed. 

"No I didn't! If you payed any attention to my life, you would know the reason I missed school those two days was because my ex-boyfriend was practically abusing me. And Cameron was the one who saved me from him, so before you go saying anymore shit about how he's not a good person, or he's bringing out a bad side in me, try to remember that you have missed almost every single damn thing I invite you to and that you're not such a good person either. 

I invite you to come to my show opening, you don't come. I invite you to go to the Mother Daughter Dance, you don't come. I feel like everything I'm trying to get you to do, you just don't come. It's all about you for everything. Then I mess up for about two seconds, and you finally decide to pay attention to my life!" I yell at her. 

I don't even try to sugar coat my cuss words for her. The doorbell rings and I stay in the kitchen, looking at my mother who has her mouth clenched shut and her eyes closed. I scoff. "Don't say anything to me, that's great." I spin on my heel and walk to the door, throwing it open when I get there. Cameron has his hands in his pants pockets. 

I take a moment to look at what he's wearing. Black jeans, a white shirt, his leather jacket, and some black Converse high-tops. 

"Wow, Anna. You look... amazing." he said, raking his eyes up and down my body. I giggle and step out, shutting the door behind me. 

"Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself." I say as he leads me to his car. He chuckles and opens my door for me. "Thank you." I get in, and Cameron closes the door behind me. He opens his door as I buckle myself in. "So, where are we going?" 

"Not telling." Cameron said, starting the car. 

"Cameron, please?" I beg, looking over at him. He bites his lip as he backs out of my driveway. How is it that his lip bite makes him even more sexy? 

"Nope. My lips are sealed." he said, finally getting out of my driveway. He turns onto our actual street and drives straight forward, turning right at the stop sign. 

I sigh and lean back in my seat as Cameron turns up the radio. I hum along to 'Classic' as Cam rolls down the windows slightly, letting in some cool air. 

About thirty minutes later, Cameron pulls into an empty parking lot by a lake. I get out, confused for a moment. Cameron comes around the front of the car and takes my hand, leading me towards a trail. 

After walking for a few minutes, he leads me to a clearing and up a hill. 

"Wow." I breathe when we get up. On the hill, there's a picnic blanket with food set out on it. A big candelabra sits in the middle. The spot on the hill over looks the lake. "Cam, how'd you do all this?" He walks in front of me and sits on the right side of the picnic blanket, crossing his ankles. 

"I had some help. But, this idea was all mine." he says, popping a strawberry in his mouth. I laugh and sit down, tucking my legs under me. I pick up a small sandwich and take a bite. It's a fancy-looking peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

"Do you have anything to drink?" I asked, looking around the blanket. Cameron smirks and nods, reaching into the brown basket behind him. He pulls out a container of Cherry Tart Lemonade. "You did not!" I reach over and take the bottle from him. 

"I did too!" he mocks me. I smile at him before taking off the cap. "Here." He hands me an empty cup and I pour my lemonade in then give him the bottle afterwards. 

"Cameron, this is absolutely amazing. Thank you." I said at the end of eating. 

"You are welcome." he replied, tilting his head back. I look over at him. 

The sun is setting and makes everything appear more beautiful. Cameron just looks more hot. I feel the breeze start to pick up and I regret not bringing my coat. I guess Cameron noticed me rubbing my arms.

"Anna, come here." he said. I stand and walk over to his side and sit down next to him. He takes his jacket off and put it around me before pulling me close into him.

"Cameron, I don't want you to be cold." I said, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"Anna, relax. I'm fine. I have long sleeves on, don't worry." Cameron assured me. I sigh and look to the lake. 

"It's so beautiful here." I mumbled.

"Not as beautiful as you." Cameron mumbles back. I lift my head and look up at him.

"That was so cheesy." I said, laughing a little. Cameron smiles shyly. "But, it was very cute." I add, putting my head back down. 

I wish that we could stay like this forever, but I know that Cameron has to leave tomorrow night. 

"Can I come to the airport with you tomorrow night?" I asked. 

"Yeah. I would really like that." he said, putting his head on mine. I smile and close my eyes. 

This feels so perfect. And I don't want it to end.