Chapter 3

"Mum, I can see!" Minerva chuckled at her son's antics. Almost a year of having glasses and Harry was still amazed at his new vision.

"Harry, are you doing your homework?" She asked.

"Yes!" He waved his maths paper at her.

"How far are you?"

"Only three problems left, Mum!"

McGonagall nodded. "Good. Finish up, then we can go to the zoo."

She watched as her son's pencil moved across the paper faster. Of course, Harry knew how to write with a quill, but she had signed him up for muggle school, feeling it would be better for him to make friends and such.

No such thing had happened, Harry's cousin had friends from his neighborhood at just about every school there was so he was bullied. Harry didn't seem to mind it, ignoring the older kids and working hard on his homework. Her only condolence was that he was with kids his own age instead of being cooped up with an old professor and a few house elves.

Minerva picked up the report card she had been sent by Harry's teacher. Scribbled in the margin was a note about how he had gotten in trouble for climbing the school buildings. 

'Accidental magic can be most unhelpful.' She thought to herself.

"Done!" Harry exclaimed.

"Let me see." The ten year old handed his assignment to her.

McGonagall checked over the slightly scribbled problems.

"Good job. Go get ready to go."

Harry cheered and ran down the hall, almost bowling over Dumbledore as the old Headmaster passed on his way to Minerva's study.

"You're taking the boy out, I presume?" He asked with a chuckle.

"Yes. He's very excited, we're going to the zoo."

"Are you dressing as a muggle?" 

"Of course, Albus. Don't worry."

----------------------

"C'mon Mum!" Harry ran ahead of McGonagall as they walked through the zoo. 

"Harry, stay close please!" She called back.

The first place they visited was the reptile house. The dark room was rather cold and Minerva was rather glad she was wearing muggle jeans and a cardigan. Harry's sweatshirt was a little big, but he didn't seem to care as he stared through a window at a boa constrictor.

Suddenly, he was shoved sideways by a large boy. "Dad, make the snake move!"

"Hey!" Harry yelped from the floor. 

The big boy, who he suddenly realized was his cousin Dudley, didn't pay any attention as he tapped the glass obnoxiously. Minerva scowled as the equally large and unattractive Vernon Dursley appeared and rapped his finger against the glass, calling, "Wake up, Snake!"

"It can't hear you." Harry said. Both over-sized men turned to look at him and identical scowls appeared on their fatty faces.

"No one asked you, freak." Dudley spat before turning to push his piggy nose against the glass.

The only problem was that the glass wasn't there anymore.

With a squeal that immensely resembled the animal that his face matched, Dudley fell into the constrictor's cage, landing in the small pool in the center. His mother Petunia gave a girly shriek as her 'baby Dudders' splashed around as if he were drowning. The snake, seeming to know it was free, slipped over the railing onto the floor of the building. It hissed at Harry, then took off towards the door. 

Dudley stood up, only to fall face-first again as he lost his footing.

With an infinitesimal smirk, Minerva checked to see if anyone was watching her before waving her wand.

While Dudley struggled to climb to his feet, the glass reappeared soundlessly. 

Vernon reached forward to take his son's hand and help him up,  but his fingers smacked firmly against the glass.

"DUDLEY!" Petunia screamed, rushing forward to bang on the glass.

"Harry, let's go to the big cat house." McGonagall said quietly, helping her son off of the floor, where he seemed frozen.

"Y-yeah." He stood quickly and they turned to leave.

"YOU!" Petunia's shrill voice was accusatory. McGonagall turned to find a bony finger pointed at her.

"Yes?"

"You did this! Fix it! Get my son out of that cage you freak!"

Minerva raised an eyebrow. "I hardly know what you're talking about. I was here with my boy, not to spite a busybody who spoils her son."

"HOW DARE YOU-" Petunia started, but Vernon cut her off.

"Listen here, you vile witch, set my son free or I will sue you for every penny you're worth!"

Minerva let out a short chuckle. "I'd like to see that, Mr. Dursley. Good day. Come, Harry." 

With her son at her side, McGonagall turned and swept out of the building.

[A/N *evil giggling*]