Chapter 32

"Mr. Potter. I'm glad to see you and Miss Granger are alive and well. Many strange things have happened today, it would be a terrible tragedy to lose such bright minds." Minerva quelled her happiness at seeing Harry alive. She'd been told what had happened to him over the course of the night and it was probably a miracle he was standing in front of her.

Harry smiled at her. "Come on, Mum, I know you're a little more than 'glad.'"

She blinked in surprise, seeing the same shock on Hermione's features, but knew Harry had decided when to tell his friends and now was that time.

"Quite a bit." Minerva stepped forward and pulled Harry into a tight hug, trying not to let the unshed tears fall.

"M-mum?!" Hermione finally spluttered out. "But how?"

Harry turned to his friend and shrugged. "She adopted me. I've been living in the castle for years."

"That's why you didn't need to ask anyone for help looking for your classes first year..." Hermione said quietly, her eyes wide.

"And second year, when she kept keeping you after class!"

"I was telling her when I heard the basilisk and who I suspected could be behind it."

Hermione smacked her forehead. "It was so obvious, how did I miss it?"

"You weren't looking for it, Miss Granger." Minerva said. "Therefore you didn't see it."

"Right." The girl muttered.

They heard Fudge yelling out in the hallway.

"The two of you might want to get back into your beds." Minerva shooed them to their respective cots and sat down next to Harry's.

Fudge burst in, looking livid.

"Where is he?"

He stormed straight to Harry's bed as the boy asked who he was talking about.

"Where is Black?" He shook Harry rather violently.

Minerva jumped up and put herself between her son and the angry Minister of Magic.

"My son has gone through enough tonight without you giving him a concussion, Minister." She said calmly.

Fudge spluttered at her. "Y-your son! Your son helped Black escape!"

"I highly doubt that. He was here the whole time." Minerva said calmly.

"You're lying."

"Ask Madame Pomfrey." As if she had been called by the mention of her name, the nurse bustled into the room, complaining about people disturbing her patients. Minerva took it upon herself to ask her, rather than let the Minister shout at her.

"Poppy, have any of your patients left the room?" She asked.

"Well I would assume not, I would have heard them leave. You were in here, Minerva, don't you know the answer?" She asked, sounding rather confused.

"Yes, I was just confirming for the Minister of Magic that Harry was here the whole time."

Fudge's face was steadily getting more and more tomato-like. Minerva heard Harry mutter something about his head exploding and chuckled quietly.

"You no good- You insolent-" The minister seemed to be at a loss for words, which might have been a first in his lifetime.

"Minister, I understand that you are in charge of the wizarding world, but you are upsetting my patients and they can't heal in a stressful environment. I'm going to have to ask you to leave, sir."

"I will not be dislodged from this room until I have answers! I want to know ho-"

"Why don't we take this to my office, then Harry and his friends can rest. They've had quite the ordeal tonight." Albus suggested.

Fudge sneered at him. "I think not. I'll be going now, I'm not in the mood to be talked in circles by you and your staff." He straightened his suit coat and put his ridiculous little bowler on his head. "Good day."

"Cornelius." Albus called after him, stopping the man in his tracks. "You'll be removing the dementors from the grounds, correct?"

The man grumbled for a few moments before nodding. "I suppose. They didn't find him the first time, why should I expect them to catch him if he comes back."

Minerva kept her opinion to herself that Black would not be coming back any time soon. He was probably long gone, looking for a cave he and his fugitive friend could hide out.

Fudge stomped out of the room and Minerva turned back to Harry.

"You did a good job today, Harry. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

"Okay, Mum."

Minerva smiled at him, then turned to Hermione. "That timeturner may have saved lives tonight, Miss Granger, but I advise you do not use it again unless it is for your classes for the rest of the year. You will still be required to turn it in."

"Yes, Professor." Hermione tucked the tiny gold chain under her shirt. "I'll take care of it until then."

"Good." Minerva nodded and left the room.

Severus was outside fuming. Minerva was sure he had pushed the minister to question her son, but she didn't say anything.

"Your beloved son helped a killer, Minerva." The potions teacher hissed at her as she passed him. "I hope you know that."

"My son did what he thought was right, I stand by his decision given the evidence." Minerva said shortly.

"You're blind to his faults." Severus sneered. "Just like every parent is."

"Harry has many faults, I know more than anyone. Don't turn what you don't like about him into other faults. I know what my son is capable of, I know how he thinks. He would not have made a decision unless he had a certain answer in his mind as to why." Minerva told her coworker coldly. "I told you years ago not to see his father when you look at him. I remind you of that now."

[A/N I'm so bad at writing McGonagall's personality XD oh well]