Chapter 35

Minerva watched the students exiting the Great Hall, heading to their dorms to get ready for school the next day.

Harry shot her a look as he walked past and Minerva nodded. Rather than returning to her private quarters, she swept down the hallways, taking the path to her office.

She hadn't been there for more than four minutes when Harry came slinking into the room. "I had to ditch Hermione and Ron." He explained, smiling at her. "Hermione caught on pretty quick and helped me with Ron."

"How was your summer?" McGonagall smiled at him.

"One part terror, one part boredom, five parts excitement." He grinned.

McGonagall nodded. "I'm glad you had fun. It's too bad those other parts had to be there."

Harry nodded. "Mum....why would Barty Crouch fire his house elf?"

"I'm sorry?" Minerva asked.

Harry explained the situation to her. "And then he just...fired her! 'This will mean clothes' he said. And poor Winky, she started bawling!"

"I have no clue as to why he would do that." Minerva shook her head. "But many of the men in our government would do the same."

Harry frowned. "Well that's horrible."

"It is, Harry." She nodded, keeping the smile off of her face. The fact that he was so passionate about it told her he was still her little son, with a heart too big for his young mind.

"Did you practice turning into an animagus?" She asked him, changing the subject before he got too worked up.

"A little." Harry nodded. "It hasn't worked yet."

"Why don't we work on it for a little while before you go back to your dorm." McGonagall said.

"Alright." He got up and they went into McGonagall's private quarters.

"Close your eyes and focus, Harry." She told him softly.

Harry squeezed his eyes shut and went through the incantation in his head.

'With this spell I seek my inner personality. I seek to find what embodies my soul and stands as my nature.'

Nothing happened. Harry groaned in frustration, but Minerva shushed him. "It took me months to get it right. Don't be discouraged."

Harry looked up at her and nodded. "Are you sure I can do it?"

Minerva sighed and placed a hand on his head, ruffling his hair lightly. "I don't know. Some wizards simply don't have the capability. But I believe you do. If we continue this and nothing happens, then we shall know that I was wrong. It doesn't make you any less of a wizard."

Harry nodded.

"Try again." Minerva told him softly, stepping back. She had no doubt her son could get through this and become an animagus, but she didn't know what form he would take if he did.

Again and again, Harry recited the incantation in his mind, until it almost didn't have meaning anymore. Still he got no results, and very soon he was feeling quite discouraged.

"Alright, go to bed, Harry." McGonagall finally told him.

Her son sighed dejectedly, but nodded. "Okay. Goodnight Mimmy."

Minerva gave him a hug. She knew he was feeling disappointed in himself. "Harry, don't beat yourself up about it. Stronger wizards than you have trouble with the art of becoming an animagus."

Harry nodded again and left, starting towards his dorm.

McGonagall waited a few moments, then walked swiftly into the hallway and transformed into a cat. Mrs. Norris would recognize her and allow Harry to pass, if he had trouble with Filch she could return to her human form and take charge of the situation.

After a short period, she heard pawsteps on the stone floors. She sped up, expecting Mrs. Norris, but to her surprise, the cat that came around the corner was not the caretaker's.

It was a tiny black kitten, not fully grown, with brilliant green eyes. Seeing her, it meowed excitedly and bounded forward.

Minerva frowned, a strange feeling in her cat form. This was not some student's pet. She could tell the difference between regular animals and those that had been enchanted.

Turning back to her human form, she carefully picked the kitten up. It peered at her through it's vibrant eyes.

"Harry?" She asked softly.

The kitten meowed happily.

Minerva chuckled. "I knew you would figure it out. I'll take you back to my office until you figure out how to change back."

Tucking her adopted son under her arm, she strode confidently back to her office. She set Harry lightly on the ground.

"Changing back is the same as changing to it." She explained. "Only much easier."

Kitten Harry bobbed his head and squeezed his bright eyes shut. Minerva let him work, sitting silently at her desk.

Harry let out a sad little 'mrrow' and flopped onto the carpet.

"Keep trying, Harry." Minerva said encouragingly. She turned into her own animagus and leapt down to sit near him.

Minutes later, a grinning teenager sat on her carpet.

"I did it!" He exclaimed.

"You did." Minerva smiled at him.