Chapter 20

Ron was panicking. He and Harry had just found out about the message on the wall, under the old 'Enemies of the Heir, Beware' thing.

It's gonna kill her! His brain kept screaming. That great ruddy snake is going to kill my sister!

"Come on!" Harry tugged on his robe, dragging him down the hallway.

"Where are we going?" Ron managed to squeak out. He didn't feel in control of himself, his legs wouldn't move the way he wanted them too. This left him stumbling along behind Harry, who was still pulling him.

"Professor Lockhart! He may be an idiot, but if he's going to save your sister we should at least make sure that he knows where to go!" Harry explained.

Ron nodded and finally found proper control of his legs, running alongside Harry.

They burst into Professor Lockhart's classroom and ran for his office, weaving between the desks.

"Professor, we have something to tell you-" Harry stopped short when he threw the doors open.

Professor Lockhart was frantically throwing things into a large trunk. 

"You're packing." Harry accused, glaring at the teacher. He knew that Lockhart wasn't very proficient in anything, but he'd expected more from the man.

"Uh, yes, urgent call, completely unavoidable, I need to go immediately or I may miss it and lives will be at stake."

Harry and Ron retorted at the same time.

"What about my sister?!"

"What about the life at stake here?!"

"Ah yes, Miss Weasley... Very unfortunate, I'm extremely sorry, but I cannot help her!"

Harry glared at him. "You're running away."

"No, no I'm not." Lockhart smiled at him before tossing another shirt into the trunk.

"Aren't you supposed to be a genius or something? What about all those books?!" Harry accused.

"Well, ah...books can be deceiving." He flashed them a megawatt smile that was designed to throw women off their train of thought, but Harry wasn't buying it.

"You lied!"

Lockhart let out a short, humorless chuckle. "I prefer the phrase 'twisting the truth.' You see, someone had to do those things in my books."

Ron scowled at him. "Is there anything you are good at?"

A gleam that set Harry on edge entered the phony professor's eyes. "Actually, yes. I'm rather adept at memory charms. Can't have those witches and wizards going and blabbing to others, understand? And I'm sorry boys, but now that you've found out..." He trailed off, turning to grab his wand.

Harry and Ron pulled theirs before he could cast any spells. Lockhart froze.

"Now boys, be reasonable...." He spoke slowly.

"We know where the chamber is and we know how to open it. You're coming with." Harry said finally. 

If anything, he could use the man for bait for the snake, maybe keep it away from them.

"Drop it." Ron said, flicking his wand at Lockhart's.

Lockhart sighed and dropped his wand. Harry kicked it under the desk. 

"Let's go, we need to move fast."

------------------------------

"Open." Harry hissed. He heard Lockhart make a small noise of partial surprise, partial fear.

"Bloody hell, mate, that's creepy." Ron muttered.

"Well you boys have found it, we should go tell one of the other teachers and I can leave for my urgent call-" Lockhart rambled. Harry turned his wand on the shaking man.

"Not so fast. You're going first." He gestured into the hole.

"A-a-and what good will that do?" Lockhart stuttered.

"If someone's gonna get eaten, it might as well be the useless one." Ron muttered.

"Just go." Harry snapped.

The man turned slowly, seeming to evaluate his options. If he could get past the boys, he could make a run for it, find his wand and wipe their memories, then leave.

Before he could do anything, Harry reached forward and pushed him down the dark hole.

They listened to his panicked yells until there was a crunch.

In the silence that followed made Harry and Ron glance at each other, then Lockhart shouted up, "It's rather dark down here. Filthy too."

"See you down there, mate." Ron said, turning to the hole. He took a deep breath, then leapt in.

Harry prepared to follow him, then a voice behind him spoke up.

"Harry," Moaning Myrtle smiled at him. "If you die, you can share my toilet." 

Harry nodded slowly. "Uh..thanks, Myrtle..."

The ghost giggled at him and returned to said toilet.

[A/N I'm kind of moving back and forth between the movies and the books because I do like the way parts of the movies go...please tell me if I'm screwing something up!]