Chapter 4

"But Mum, I'm already here!" Harry complained.

"It's the experience that's important, Harry. It's an opportunity to meet new people." McGonagall waved her wand at the pile of luggage and it disappeared.

"Yes, Mum." Harry muttered. He recognized the look in his mum's eyes and there was no arguing with her.

"Good boy." Minerva held out her arm to her son and they apparated to King's Cross, appearing behind a pillar.

"How do I get to the train?" Harry asked, looking around for a platform 9 and 3/4s.

McGonagall opened her mouth to respond, then saw a familiar face pushing through the crowd.

Molly Weasley led her children to the barrier separating the Hogwarts Express and the muggle world.

"Go ask her." Minerva said, pointing to the woman, who was lining her redheaded clan up to go through the wall that led to the gleaming scarlet Hogwarts Express.

As Harry turned to see where she was indicating, Minerva cast a nonverbal disillusionment charm over herself and took a step back.

"Why-Mimmy?" The boy turned back to where his mum had been.

"Mimmy? Mimmy, where are you?" He called softly.

When he received no response, Harry sighed and turned, walking over to the woman that his mother had pointed out.

"Excuse me, how do I get to the platform?" 

The matronly redhead smiled down at him. "First year, then? So is my Ronnie. Why don't you follow him."

Harry watched the boy his age run at the wall and stared when he disappeared through it.

"Your turn." Molly Weasley said.

"Good luck." The small girl at her side said as Harry lined up to run.

From behind the pillar, Mcgonagall watched as her son charged the barrier and disappeared, starting his years at Hogwarts. With a smile, she disapparated, startling a few nearby muggles who heard the loud crack that had sounded for no apparent reason.

--------------------------

Shaking his head at the antics of the two boys who had helped him with his luggage, Harry walked into an empty compartment and sat down. 

"Do you mind if I sit here? Everywhere else is full." A voice asked.

Harry looked up and saw the boy he had followed through the magical wall.

"Yeah, that's fine." Harry motioned to the seat across from him.

"I'm Ron, by the way." The redhead offered his hand. "Ron Weasley."

"Harry Potter." Harry knew of the Weasleys. His mother told him about them and their kindness towards muggles. They sounded like nice people.

"Do you have the...you know..." Ron motioned to his forehead.

Harry smiled and pulled back his bangs. "This?"

"So Fred and George weren't kidding? You're THE Harry Potter?" Ron exclaimed.

"I'm not THE Harry Potter. I'm just Harry." The black haired boy protested.

"No, you're THE Harry Potter! You're the Boy Who Lived! You're famous!"

Harry frowned. "Why? It's not like I was 'the chosen one' or something. It could have been anyone."

Ron opened his mouth to say something in response, but a girl's voice at the door cut him off.

"Has anyone seen a toad?"

---------------------------------

McGonagall stood on the stone steps, waiting for Hagrid to appear with the first years. The back of her mind idly reminded her that this would be the second time Harry was handed off to her by the half-giant.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall." Hagrid said, stomping up the steps in his usual manner with a crowd of scared and wet 11 year olds trailing behind him.

Minerva eyed the first years, her gaze meeting Harry's for a moment before moving on. "Welcome to Hogwarts. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room."

She went on to explain the four houses and found her eyes drifting and picking out children for certain ones. The Malfoy boy was practically chomping at the bit to be placed in Slytherin, and if he was anything like his father he would be. 

Her eyes floated to Harry. He would be in Gryffindor, she was sure of it. The boy had been through so much at a young age, but he never gave up.

"I suggest you all smartened yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." She glanced at young Ron Weasley, whose nose was smudged with dirt, and Neville Longbottom, whose cloak fastening was under his ear rather than his chin. Out of the corner of her eye, McGonagall caught sight of Harry trying to flatten his bangs down and suppressed a smile.

"I will return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly." She swept off to listen to the last of Dumbledore's short speech.

When she returned, Harry was at the front of the group, speaking to Draco Malfoy. While she was still too far away to hear the words, it was obvious to McGonagall that Draco was offering something and Harry was turning him down.

"Move along now." She ordered. "The Sorting Ceremony's about to start.

Organizing the eleven year olds into a line, she threw open the doors and walked into the Great Hall, smiling lightly at the awed whispers behind her.

[A/N Any of McGonagall's lines that are italicized are exact words from the book. Those belong to Rowling!]