Chapter 16

"Alright, young man, you explain what's going on right now." Minerva said, turning to face her son as he stood nervously behind her.

"Mum, I didn't do anything! I promise, I didn't petrify Mrs. Norris, I-"

"Harry! Facts."

Harry took a deep breath. "I heard a voice."

McGonagall frowned. "When?"

"The first time or tonight?"

"Harry James, do you mean to say you've been hearing voices and you didn't tell anyone?"

"No! I mean, yes! I mean- yes I've been hearing voices, but I was going to tell you! But then I figured that you already knew that there was something there, so I didn't. If I knew that you didn't know, I would have told you-"

"Harry. When was the first time you heard this voice?" McGonagall asked.

"The night I had detention with Lockhart. There was this hissing voice talking about ripping and killing. I asked Lockhart if he knew what it was and he insisted that there was nothing and that I was just drowsy!"

"And you haven't heard it since?"

"No, not until tonight." Harry looked at his shoes.

"Harry, why weren't you at the feast?"

Harry sighed. "Ron, Hermione and I went to Nick's death day party. We finally had enough and decided to leave. Ron wanted to get food, so we started towards the Great Hall, but then I heard the voice again! It was all frenzied, as if it was close to it's prey or whatever. But when I insisted we follow it, Ron and Hermione kept saying there was no voice! I don't understand, am I going crazy?"

Minerva frowned. "I highly doubt that, Harry. So you followed the voice?"

"Yeah! I slipped and fell, but I didn't notice the water until I reached the corridor where Mrs. Norris was."

McGonagall nodded slowly. "The first time you heard the voice, nothing happened?"

Harry shook his head.

"Hmm. Well, it may not be connected to the attack then. Harry, I want you to tell me if you hear that voice again, understand? You need to tell me where you heard it and what it was saying."

Harry nodded.

"For today, I'm just glad you're safe." McGonagall gave him a hug. "Now go back to the common room and go to bed. You definitely need sleep."

"Yes Mum."

----------------------------

"Sherbet Lemon." McGonagall told the gargoyle. It stepped aside and she moved onto the staircase, waiting to reach the old oaken door that marked the entrance to Dumbledore's office.

"Ah, Minerva. To what do I owe the pleasure?" Albus asked from his desk, not looking up from the large, old and dusty book he was skimming.

"I would like to pick your brain, Albus. This situation, Harry has told me something that I would like to know your opinion on, whether it can be real or not."

Dumbledore laid a piece of parchment on the page he was reading and closed the book. A small cloud of dust blew up and he fanned it away. "Ask away, Minerva."

She nodded. "Harry told me he's been hearing a voice."

"A voice? Do elaborate."

"He said the first time he heard it was during and after his detention with Lockhart. He described it as a hissing voice that wanted to rip and kill. When he asked Lockhart what he thought it was, he said Lockhart insisted that there was no voice and that Harry was merely drowsy."

"Well if you're coming to me, he obviously wasn't." Albus said serenely. Minerva shot him a slightly irritated look for interrupting before continuing.

"He said that last night, they were at Nick's death day party. When they left, deciding to get food since there's nothing decent for consumption at a party like that, Harry heard the voice again. He said it was frenzied, like it was close to a kill, and he decided to follow it and find out what it was. Ron and Hermione didn't hear this voice, and kept telling Harry it wasn't there. He found Mrs. Norris just before we did."

"You think this voice is connected to the attack?" Dumbledore asked.

"I'm not sure. It would seem so, but at the same time, the first time he heard the voice there was no attack."

Dumbledore sat quietly, thinking.

"Albus, what could it be that only Harry can hear it?"

"I don't know, Minerva. I will look into it and get back to you."

McGonagall nodded slowly, unsatisfied with the answer. "Alright Albus, please tell me when you find something out."

"Of course."

As the old woman left the room, Dumbledore's peaceful expression turned to one of apprehension.

"Oh I do hope it is not what I think it to be." He murmured as he opened his book again.

[A/N well after so much updating frequently, I crashed....after wasting two hours watching useless videos XD oops...slight writers block at the moment]