Bear Hunt

"I thought this was a family camping trip?" I groaned to my mum as she worked in the kitchen. She had just informed me that Marissa was invading our yearly camping trip. It was a family trip. She was not family. I was already pissed that Ash was coming but in all fairness, he was Jack's brother, so technically family.

"Dotty, are you forgetting that you brought Sam last year?"

Damn, forgot about that.

"Yeah but Sam's practically family," I defended.

"And Marissa is Ash's girlfriend so she should feel like part of the family too."

I rolled my eyes. "How is she going to survive camping anyway, she'll probably throw a hissy fit if she see's an ant." Marissa definitely didn't seem like the outdoorsy type. She was always dressed to perfection with carefully applied makeup and perfectly straightened hair. There was no way she would survive a weekend of camping.

"If you're that bothered by Ash bringing someone, why don't you just bring Sam again?"

I smiled mischievously. "Something tells me Sam won't want to come after last year's incident." We had been messing around and I had shoved him lightly and caused him to fall right into a colony of red ants. I was too busy laughing to help him out and he refused to talk to me for the rest of the camping trip. In my defense, I didn't see the red ants before I pushed him. After that, he refused to ever go camping with me again.

"Isn't there anyone else?"

I racked my brain trying to think of someone who would agree to brave the great outdoors with me. Naturally I thought of Adam but I quickly disregarded him after a flashback of Adam and Helena entered my mind, making me shudder in disgust. That was an image I never wanted to see again.

Then it hit me. Mason!

"I know just the guy!" I replied, hurrying out of the room

Once I got to my room I dialed his number. Before he could say anything I spoke. "So remember how the other day you were telling me how much you love the great outdoors and your favorite animal are bears?"

"Err...I don't think I said any of-"

I cut him off again. "Get your camping shit ready, we're going on a BEAR HUNT?"

"Bear hunt? What on earth are you talking about Dotty?"

That point was a slight lie as there weren't any bears in England, but he didn't know that. Well he probably did, but bear hunt just seemed way more thrilling than family camping trip.

It didn't even take long to convince Mason. After properly explaining where we were going he immediately agreed. My powers of persuasion were that good. Must have been the bears.

***

Being the eager beaver I was, I was downstairs packed and ready before anyone else. The great outdoors was my true home; I've always believed that in my past life I was an otter or something.

I looked up when I heard someone enter the room. After seeing it was Ash, I simply looked away and turned my attention back to the tv show I had been watching. 

He too didn't bother saying anything and sat down beside me. We sat in silence for a good fifteen minutes, our eyes glued to the television. I was so zoned out that the sound of the doorbell made me jump.

"I'll get it!" We both said at the same time.

Ash got up first. "It's probably Marissa."

I sighed and didn't bother getting up. There is no way in hell I wanted another awkward encounter at the front door with that conniving bitch. Ash returned with a scowl on his face.