Chapter 8

The next day Haruhi was going to spend the entire time at the Host Club practicing the waltz with Kanako Kasugazaki. She was doing... okay. It was only her first lesson, so I couldn't be rough on her. She did fall on Kanako, though... That was pretty bad.

I had finished all the work Kyoya had given me early, so I was watching them dance with the other members. Or, most of them. Tamaki was sitting in the corner on a windowsill, looking very depressed. I knew he had wanted to be the one to dance with her.

"Why so gloomy, boss?" the twins asked Tamaki. He didn't respond.

"I bet it's because he wanted to be the one Haruhi practices with," Hikaru taunted.

Kaoru agreed, "I think you may be right, but he's way too tall to stand in as a woman."

I scolded, "Give it a rest, guys. He feels bad enough as it is."

They asked, "It doesn't bother you at all?"

I shrugged, "I don't care who Haruhi dances with, or who's interested in her. I have a promise to keep, so as long as none of that romantic stuff happens to me, I'll be fine."

"In hindsight, I guess you could have taught her, Azami," Hikaru said.

"I wouldn't have been any help. I don't know how to dance. Especially, not the waltz," I revealed.

"You have to go to the party and dance, too, Aza-chan!" Honey told me.

I frowned, "No, I don't. The party has nothing to do with me. I just figure out the budget and stay out of everyone's way. Most of the customers don't even know I'm here. There's no reason, plus I'm not into parties or events."

Kyoya interjected, "You're part of the Host Club just as much as the rest of us. You must attend the party."

"And know how to dance," the twins added.

I sighed, "Can't I just stand against the wall or something?"

"That isn't very lady-like. It is a social event sponsored by a sociable club. It'd be bad for business if one of the members was seen in the shadows," Kyoya said. "You will also have to go to the party and demonstrate the waltz for us. If you don't, Haruhi will still be knocked down to an errand boy, no matter her dancing."

I gaped, "How can anyone be that cruel?"

Hikaru and Kaoru answered, "He's the Shadow King."

Kyoya argued, "The nicknames you have given me has nothing to do with this. It's only fair."

Honey asked, "Who's going to teach her, then?"

"Well, I'm busy, Honey's too short, Mori doesn't like being away from Honey for too long, Tamaki is too depressed to do anything, so that only leaves us two people," Kyoya hinted. We all looked at the twins.