Chapter 32

I tried so hard to prolong my happiness with my friends, but I couldn't keep the news from them forever. Especially when Haruhi kept nagging me. I knew she had good reasons, but I didn't want to hear it. I was already torturing myself. Every time I looked at Kaoru, I remembered what I would have to tell him. I felt guilty every time we kissed or laughed. It would be over soon.

The hardest part was finding the time. The school was buzzing with excitement over the Ouran Fair. It took up the last two school days, which, sadly, I would be missing. Since most of the students at Ouran were to grow up and run their family's business, it was a way of showing their leadership skills by organizing elaborate plans and activities. It would be spectacular. Or I figured it would be.

I walked into the Host Club, and they were all pouring over the plans for their club activities and costume changes during the fair. I said quietly, "Guys?" They didn't hear me. I stepped closer and spoke a little louder, "Guys, I need to tell you something." They still didn't hear. "I need to tell you something!"

They all looked at me. "What is it, Azami?" Tamaki asked.

Kaoru immediately realized something was wrong and stood up, walking over to me. "What's wrong?" he asked. I cringed at the concern in his voice. I didn't want it to turn into anger.

"I'm... I'm sorry, Kaoru. I said there wouldn't be any more secrets, but..." I trailed off.

"What haven't you told me?"

"When I got called to the office last week, after I told you I liked you, they said it was Fuchu Nishi," I started. I walked passed him and looked at everyone else who was eying me. "I've been accepted to Fuchu Nishi. I won the scholarship and completed all the courses I need to graduate. I've already received my diploma privately. In turn, I won't be here the next three days. The last two days are orientation, and tomorrow I will be preparing for my speech as the scholarship winner. Today is my last day at Ouran."

Everyone's, besides Kyoya's and Haruhi's mouths dropped in surprise. Kaoru angrily grabbed my shoulders and turned me back to him. "You said you weren't going to get it!" he yelled.

"I honestly didn't think I would. Please, calm down. I'm sorry," I apologized again.

"I thought... I thought we had another year together! We're finally together, and now you're leaving! What are we going to do when you're gone?" he demanded. I looked away from him. "You think I'm going to get in the way, don't you?"

"It's not like that."

"Then, what is it?"

I paused, "It wouldn't work. When I'm on break, you'll be in school and vice versa. I'm going to be busier than ever studying. I won't have time."

Kaoru argued, "We'll find time."

"No, I don't think we can, Kaoru. I... I'm sorry," I felt a lump in my throat as I struggled to get the words out. Tears sprung into my eyes and had to look at the floor. I heard him storm out.

"Kaoru, wait!" Hikaru shouted as he ran after him. Then, it was silent. None of us knew what to say.

Slowly, I turned back to my friends and bowed. "Aza-chan..." Honey trailed off, but I could hear the quiver in his voice. He was going to cry, too.

"It has been wonderful knowing all of you. I've had a lot of fun here, and I don't think I've ever had such amazing friends. I'm sorry to be parting ways so early. Thank you for spending your time with me," I told them. I straightened up, and none of them had moved.

I was about to leave when Tamaki stood. I gasped when he bowed back. He said as he straightened, "Thank you for working with us. We'll miss you. Good luck at the university, Azami." He gave me a smile that wasn't supposed to charm me. It was friendly, meaning he wasn't mad. The others nodded in agreement with what he had said.

I took a deep breath and exited the room, walking down the lonely hall for the last time. I finally allowed the tears to fall down my face. I knew I should have been elated that my dream was coming true, but I didn't realize how much I would leave behind. It wasn't supposed to be that way.

None of what had happened during my time at Ouran was supposed to be like that. I was angry with myself for being so careless, but at the same time, I couldn't have stopped it. I knew that. A huge part of me was happy I had met the Host Club. That I met Kaoru. It was one of those inevitable things.

Still, I couldn't help but think about how if Haruhi and I had never walked into Music Room #3, and if she had never broken the vase, how I would have been feeling at that moment.