Chapter 34

I was backstage in the auditorium on the second day of orientation. It was only a few minutes before I had to give my speech. The headmaster was still welcoming the students to the school. Soon, Ms. Tanaka would introduce me and I would have to speak in front of all those people who had already judged me.

I was shaking uncontrollably. I had to calm down, but I couldn't start talking, nor did I want to hear my voice quiver. I didn't know what to do with myself.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed. I almost jumped out of my skin. Sighing, I took it out, and the screen displayed I had seven new messages that had all been left that day. I dialed in the code to hear my voicemails and put the phone to my ear. I was surprised to hear Mori's voice, "Azami, we need you to come back. We can't find Tamaki. Call back soon." Why was it such a big deal? I deleted the message and moved on to the next one.

Honey's message said, "Aza-chan! We can't find Tama-chan! Do you know where he is? Please, come back! We miss you! Call back when you get this!" What is going on? I thought as I moved on.

Kyoya's said, "Azami, it's Kyoya. We don't know where Tamaki has gone. I think Lady Éclair might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure. We need you to get back here. We need your help. I'm afraid he might do something stupid. Call me back soon."

"Azami, it's Hikaru. Do you know where Tamaki is? We can't find him or reach him on his phone. Listen, I know you don't want to come back because of what happened with Kaoru, but we all really need you right now. Especially him. Call me back soon," Hikaru left me.

"Azami, we really need your help. Tamaki hasn't shown up. Éclair banned him from showing his face at the Host Club. She even paid off my debt so I don't have to see him again. We don't know where he is, and he isn't picking up his phone. I'm starting to get worried. I know today is really important to you, so I understand if you don't come, but at least call back, please. I'll see you later," Haruhi told me. My eyes widened at the panic in her voice.

The next one was Kaoru's, "Hey, Azami, it's Kaoru. I'm really sorry about how I acted a few days ago. I'm really happy for you, and I don't want to hold you back from your dreams. I really miss you, though. Even I know I haven't been acting the same since you left. But right now, we all really need you, Azami. We're really worried about Tamaki. We have no clue where he might be. If I'm holding you back from coming to help us, then just know I won't bother you about what happened. Please, Azami. I need you. We all do." Tears welled up in my eyes. I gasped as a surge of pain raced through my heart. Heartbreak. A psychological disorder that affected you physically and mentally. Symptoms could include loss of appetite, chest pains, unstable emotions, depression, and more. It could last for a few days or a few months depending on how much importance the person held. I had a feeling the chest pains would be my companion for the next few months.

I never thought I would experience something as petty as heartbreak again. I wasn't even affected too long after the first, though it had altered my outlook on love. Though I didn't know how, it was different that time. There was a stranger, darker feeling welling up inside me. It was much like the one I felt when Mom died, yet much less severe.

I took a second to collect myself before listening to the last message. Everyone had called me, so I didn't know who it could be.

"Hey, Azami, it's Tamaki," Tamaki's recorded voice said. I gasped. Why would he call me, of all people? "I know you're still having orientation today, but I just wanted to call and tell you that after the fair, the Host Club will be no more. I'm engaged to Lady Éclair Torrenne. I'm sure Haruhi already told you that last night. Anyways, I'm going to France to live with her." I took another sharp breath. France?! "I haven't told anyone else, but I wanted to tell someone, and I figured you wouldn't hear this until it's too late.