Chapter 19

The day had finally came. I was going to take my entrance exam. It was a school day, but I had called in sick just to take it at the university in Shinjuku, Tokyo. Not that that was a complete lie. I felt like throwing up from anxiety.

My dad had taken the train with me to the university while Haruhi went to school. She had wished me good luck before I left. We stood on campus, staring at the enormous building in front of us. It was beautiful and intimidating at the same time. My body was trembling.

Dad put a hand on my shoulder and smiled, "You're going to do fine, Azami."

I shook my head, "No, this is a mistake. I'm not ready. I should have studied more! I'm not prepared at all! I'm not ready!"

"Azami, I haven't seen you study so much in your entire life! If anyone is prepared for this test, it's you," he assured me.

"I'm not, though! I don't remember anything about analyzing the signs of love or attraction, which is my weakest spot. What if a bunch of questions are about that? Then, what do I do? Guessing won't help me! Especially if it's on the essay portion!" I argued. I tried to calm down, remembering what tricks worked for me. I couldn't talk during the test, and analyzing was the reason I was so nervous... Oh no, I groaned. "Yeah, this isn't happening." I turned on my heel.

Dad turned me around and said, "You'll do fine. There is no one else who deserves this more than you. You're the best analyzer in the world. You can figure things out quicker than anyone, and while they're trying to figure it out, you've already thought of how to fix it."

I paused for a second, "What if I don't pass?"

He grinned, "You're going to pass. Trust me." He brushed the hair out my eyes. "You know, you look exactly like Kotoko. She would be so proud of you."

Kotoko was my mother. She died when I was six. A whole decade without her, and yet, it felt like it was just yesterday that she was holding me. She was the one who initially told me about Fuchu Nishi after I told her I wanted to be a therapist. We always said that she would be there to escort me to the exam, and once I passed, she would accompany me on the tour of the campus. We had it all planned out, but she wasn't there to do those things. Sure, she was watching over me, but that wasn't the same thing. It offered no comfort.

As I thought about those things, tears filled my eyes. Mom would have wanted me to take the exam no matter what. She always had been my biggest supporter, after all. I couldn't walk away.

I quickly blinked back the tears and hugged my dad, which he quickly returned. I smiled, "Okay. Thank you so much. I'll see you later."

"Time's up," the instructor said as I finished answering the last question. She picked up all of our multiple choice answer sheets. I was sweating, knowing what was coming next. The essay portion. She passed out the essay prompts and writing booklets.

"This year's prompt is about conflict." I breathed a sigh of relief, happy it wasn't attraction. "Describe a situation where you have solved a conflict between at least two people, neither being you. Tell all the details of what caused it, what happened during it, and how you solved it. If there is an underlying problem you found out, then also describe that. If you have never experienced something like that, then describe a theoretical conflict and how you would solve it. Please state if it is a personal or fictional experience in the essay. It may be no shorter than a page. You may begin."

I heard the scratching of No. 2 pencils on the paper, but I just sat there, my mind blank. I knew they didn't want something theoretical. They wanted you to have had experience with those types of situations before entering the university. They wouldn't ask for a personal story if they didn't want one.

I thought hard, going through all my memories. There weren't too many to choose from, and they weren't that interesting. Then, I smiled, getting an idea. I started writing.

The Twins' Fight!

Twins are closer to each other than anyone else on Earth. It's amazing how far their love and trust go for each other. I have the pleasure of knowing a pair of twins that are rather interesting. Kaoru and Hikaru Hitachiin stay with each other and never leave their sides, so when a horrible fight broke out between them, I knew something was wrong. I just didn't realize how deep this little play went. Their fight was fake, but the walls surrounding them from the rest of the world were not, and I managed to break them down with my deduction and analyzation skills.

It started when they asked me to play a game called "The Which One is Hikaru Game?"...