thirty-seven

Mae was in a deep slumber when she heard her phone ring. She rolled over and grabbed the device from the nightstand, almost falling out of bed in the process.

"Hello?" She answered, failing to see who was calling at such an ungodly hour.

"Mae?" A deep yet familiar voice replied.

"Luke? What's going on?"

"Go to your front door."

She opened her mouth to reply but shut it just as quickly.

As she swung her legs out from underneath the comforter, she could hear a noise coming from outside.

"Luke? Seriously, what the hell is going on?"

He didn't reply, but once she peered through the peephole, she immediately understood why.

There he was, standing awkwardly outside her door, one hand holding the phone to his ear, and the other stuffed into his jean pocket.

"Well, hello there, beautiful," he smiled, slowly putting his phone into his back pocket.

She mimicked him as she put hers into her pajama pants pocket. Once it was secure, she jumped into his outstretched arms.

He held her tight against him as he walked into her humble abode.

After a good five minutes of just standing still, Luke finally placed her back on the ground. She looked up to him with the biggest smile imaginable.

"I can't believe you're here," she whispered.

"I had to see you."

It was two in the morning on a Thursday, and he dropped everything he was doing to come see her.

Was it crazy? Absolutely.

Did he have things to do in the morning? Of course.

Did he care about anything besides seeing Mae? Not one bit.

Even though she was incredibly happy to have him with her, she couldn't deny the amount of fatigue overtaking her small body.

She hasn't slept straight through the night since she last spent the night with Luke. Thoughts weighed on her mind constantly and no matter what she did, she couldn't rid of them. Although, she has a feeling tonight will be different.

"I'm so sleepy, Luke." She rested her head against his chest as his arms rested softly on her waist.

"We can go to bed, if you'd like."

All of a sudden she couldn't take it anymore, her eyes began to close and her body started to go limp. Luke could tell she was fading, so he scooped her into his arms and carried her off to bed.

As he tucked her in, she was mumbling softly.

"Stay with me."

"I wouldn't dare do anything else," he whispered, kissing her forehead.

He climbed in beside her and wrapped his arms around her, cuddling close.

Luke assumed she'd fell asleep, but he could tell he was wrong as he felt a sudden pressure on his lips.

His eyes opened slowly to find Mae pulling away. Before she got too far, his hand cupped her face and pulled her in for one more, passionate kiss before they both drifted off to sleep.

Hours had passed before Mae felt shuffling from the other side of the bed.

She softly turned over to see Luke walking out of the room, his phone pressed to his ear.

The clock read 5:27 am. What on earth was he doing on the phone this early?

She leapt out of the bed and followed. It might be bad for her to eavesdrop, but she wanted to make sure everything was alright.

As she peered around the corner, she could hear his groggy voice filling the room.

"Yes, I realize that."

...

"I know I can't do that."

...

"Of course I do!" he exclaimed, suddenly looking around.

Mae quickly hid herself so he couldn't see her.

"I know, Ash, I know."

...

"I'm just figuring out how to tell her."

All of a sudden, she panicked. It good be a good thing that he had to tell her, but the strain in his voice proves otherwise.

"I don't want to lose her, Ash."