forty

While you're doing fine, there's some people and I
Who have a really tough time getting through this life
So excuse us while we sing to the sky.

As twenty one pilots' lyrics filled her mind, she couldn't help but constantly think of Luke, and how much she missed him. It's been a week since he confessed that ironically he had a part in the downfall of her last relationship, and she hasn't spoken to him since.

She never could've imagined that Luke knew her ex-boyfriend, let alone be good friends with him. In the matter of twenty minutes, everything she knew had been flipped upside down. She always thought her ex came up with everything on his own, but she was terribly wrong.

Even though it seemed over dramatic for her to cut off any conversation with Luke, she had to have some time to think things over. There were some things she had to consider.

1. Luke aided in the most embarrassing and heartbreaking thing to ever happen to her.
2. He was younger and slightly immature at the time.
3. He didn't know he would evidently meet the girl later on.

All of these were key factors, but they don't serve as excuses for what he did.

Her mind raced with all of these thoughts, constantly going back and forth on what she should do.

Just as she was about to try and take a break from thinking so much, her phone buzzed on her nightstand.

Luke had replied to her tweet.

She sighed at his lyric reference that was from the same song hers was, Everything I Didn't Say. At the time, it seemed smart to use his own lyrics, just as they always had, but as her eyes skimmed the words for the second time, she realized it was pathetic.

She was referring back to where everything started. She was doing the same thing she did to gain his attention in the first place, and that's exactly what she intended to do this time, but she shouldn't have. In the end, she didn't really deserve his attention.

There were girls far better for him and that's exactly who should have his attention.

She was being consumed by so many negative thoughts that she couldn't handle it anymore. As she closed her eyes to rest her heavy mind, images of Luke filled her head.

There wasn't enough time for Mae to fall into a deep slumber before her phone went off again, but this time it wasn't Luke. It was Ashton.

He had tweeted her.

@Ashton5SOS: @maelynn he's sorry, you know

She sighed at his words. Instead of posting this conversation publicly for everyone to see, she quickly asked for a follow which he thankfully obliged. She then proceeded to message him.

Mae: I know he's sorry, but I just need time to think

Ashton: I can understand that, Mae, but you don't understand how much of a negative affect that's having

Mae: what do you mean?

Ashton: while you're taking the time you need, Luke is using his to sulk and blame himself for everything

Ashton: he's miserable, Mae