forty-three

Luke sighed as he looked out at the boats passing in the water. It was almost completely dark out now, but the lights from the ships were illuminating the small dock he stood upon perfectly.

He wasn't in the right state of mind when he rushed out of the house earlier. All he knew was that he needed time to think and this seemed like the perfect spot to get some peace.

As the waves crashed upon the boards of wood beneath his feet, he suddenly heard some creaking from behind him.

His heart skipped a beat as he thought about who was sneaking up on him.

What if it's a killer? He thought.

However, at the soft sound of her voice calling his name, he knew he wasn't in any danger.

He gently turned his neck just enough to see her standing awkwardly with her arms crossed to provide warmth against the brisk, cold night. She looked flustered -- her cheeks were a shade of rose pink and her lips were slightly parted, deep breaths coming out in quick pants.

"Luke," she said once again, this time slightly louder than before.

Without any words coming from his lips, she took the initiative to join him at the end of the dock. She stood a few inches away, but her presence was stronger than ever before.

Once a deep breath escaped, he began to explain why he's out here in the middle of the night because he knows that's what she came to hear.

"I know you've told me not to blame myself, but that seems to be the only thing I can do right now," he sighs, his attention focused on the rippling tides.

"Luke," she breathed in an attempt to interrupt him, but he wouldn't allow it.

"No, Mae. I don't want to hear anymore excuses. He would've never come up with that idea on his own, which means that if I had kept my stupid mouth shut, you wouldn't have been hurt."

It's true. His friend never would've thought anything like that, but he sure was quick to agree.

"It just seemed so harmless at the time, and I guess it didn't seem so bad because I didn't know you." He finally glances at her, but only for a second. "Not that it made the situation any better, it just made it seem less real. I actually thought for awhile that he was just joking, and wasn't going to go through with it," he scoffs. "I should've known better."

Mae listened and waited until he was done before she spoke again. And to be completely honest, she understood where he's coming from, but there's no way she'll allow him to continue beating himself up over it.

"You're stubborn," she laughed.

He looked at her with pure confusion in his expression.

"You are," she admitted. "Once you get something in your head, you don't let go of it. Now I know in some circumstances that's a good thing, such as when it comes to your music, but you have to believe me when I say this is not one of those circumstances."

Her shaky hands take his as her thumbs softly draw circles on his palms.

"I care about you, Luke, and I refuse to let you beat yourself up over something that happened years ago."

"Yeah, but-," she placed a finger to his lips, preventing anymore words to escape.

"But nothing. I'm serious. I was hurt, yes, and I was shocked that you came up with it, but I'm not going to hold that against you." Her gaze falls to the ground as she continues, "I'm too far in to let you go now because of this."

The blue of his eyes have deepened as they look at the blushing girl in front of him. She has no idea just how perfect she is to him, and he's more than happy that she wants to hold onto him because he's certainly not ready to let her go.

"I'm farther in than I could've ever imagined, and I don't plan on ever coming back to shore," he smiles before attaching his lips to hers.

cutesy muke fluff :')