Chapter 1

A/N: Ready for Rhys' POV?

Once again, thank you for your support on You are the Answer; I hope you'll enjoy We are the Answer just as much!

Also, the link to the online Story Fair where I and other writers will be giving out prizes is in the comments along with a link to a short (less than 300 words) blog post explaining what the event is and how you can win an e-book reader, chapter dedication, free books, etc.

*****

Like so many times before, I stared at the open map that lay on the table; like so many times before, something prevented me from closing my eyes and pointing my finger at a random spot.

The Journey was a tradition that dated almost as far as the origins of our kind. It was believed that if we couldn't recognize our mate amongst the ones around us, we should set out to find them in any direction we felt like and someone - Fate, the Spirits, God - someone would guide us to the person we sought.

I'd waited eight years to recognize my mate and I had yet to meet him.

I still remembered how on the morning of my sixteenth birthday, I'd jumped out of my bed and began to prepare. I washed my hair, I brushed my teeth and put on my best clothes. I was pretty pleased with the reflection that greeted me in the mirror except for the dark circles under my eyes - the giveaways of a sleepless night. But how could I sleep when I was reaching the Age of Recognition?

From that moment on, as soon as I saw my mate, I'd recognize them.

I'd walked through our neighborhood several times that day, my enthusiasm dwindling with each passing hour. At dinner my parents had reassured me that maybe I hadn't seen everyone that day. After a couple of weeks their soothing words changed; they told me that my mate could be a part of another pack.

That had lifted my spirits and each time a member of the Silver Bullets was to travel to another pack, I'd ask to go with them. If the pack was friendly, they'd take me along; after all, everyone knew the reason behind my request and they wanted to help.

With each visit, my hope waned.

Twenty-four and still without a mate; I should take the Journey!

People would understand if I left. They would find someone to temporarily replace me as the Beta - Anthony was a great choice; he had the makings of one and he was the Alpha's brother - so nothing was holding me here. Nothing, but the fact that each time I gazed down at the map, I frowned and wanted to look away.

"Still thinking of leaving?"

I turned around, hands crossed over my chest, and faced my older brother.

"I just can't do it. It doesn't feel right."

"Perhaps you are not meant to leave."

I knew the cliché line was supposed to console me. Everyone sympathized with my situation, especially my family. Everett was no different; he kept encouraging me to search for my significant other, he kept assuring me that one day I'll find him, just like he had found his Lisa.

"How about we go out for some fresh air?" He suggested and with a sigh, I followed him.

The smell of whiskey and beer entered my nostrils as soon as we entered the saloon. It was a lot noisier here than it had been in the back room and yet the place wasn't filled with drunken guffaws or shouts. Our pub - the Silver Bullet's pub - was patronized only by members of the pack and they knew the rules: behave or the rest of us will kick you out.