Chapter 11

A/N: Do you want more of Alec? I haven't planned the next chapter so I could just skip the scene with him.

*****

I was supposed to be watching the movie. That's what we came for and I knew that. Instead, I was watching my mate who was sitting to my left.

Not staring - of course not; I didn't want to make Riley uncomfortable - but gazing at him from the corner of my eye.

His reactions to the film were much more entertaining than the film itself. The bright light of the screen grew softer as it reached his face, but it was enough for me to notice every smile, frown and excited, silent 'oh!'.

I'd expected him to be happy with the presence of Jack Frost, but he also seemed particularly delighted by the accents of the Easter Bunny and Santa. A feisty Santa with a Russian accent and tattoos - I had to admit, he was an amusing character.

I wondered how Riley felt about the tattoos.

A wolf howling at the moon, a paw print, our sacred tree or Silver Bullets written in a fancy script - a lot of pack members had proudly inked those into their skin.

I'd wanted to do it as well.

I would have done it if I wasn't worried about my mate's reaction to it. I'd have to ask Riley about his opinion at some point. Maybe tonight. I could ask after the movie was over.

Santa had some pretty cool ink, didn't he? What do you think about tattoos, Riley?

Yeah, that sounded conversational. It was casual enough.

Could Riley have tattoos?

My head stood still, my face toward the screen, but my eyes glided up and down Riley's profile.

I couldn't see underneath his clothes, of course. Not under the skinny jeans, nor the long-sleeved shirt.

A crease formed on my forehead. I couldn't remember ever seeing Riley without long sleeves, even when it was hot outside. Perhaps it was a fashion statement. Or perhaps, like Detective Callum who wore a coat in the summer, Riley had a medical condition.

If so, what could it be?

Was there a treatment?

Could we afford it?

What would we do if we couldn't?

What if...

I quietly sighed.

I was reading too much into this, too soon. It could be just a fashion thing. After all, Riley's hand had been warm that time at the café when he brushed the cream off my face...

I closed my eyes and trembled.

Riley's touch was not what I should be concentrating on in a movie theatre full of humans.

"You okay, bro?" Kennedy asked from my right.

"Yeah." I opened my eyes, taking in a deep breath; Riley didn't seem to notice as he laughed at what was going on on the screen.

"I'm fine," I murmured and tried to concentrate on the movie.

*****

Okay. Now would be a good time to ask. The film is over. Just open your mouth and ask. It's not that hard. It sounds completely casual and not as something you've been pondering.

My lips parted, but a voice other than my own captured Riley's attention.

"We should totally go for ice cream." We had almost reached the lobby. "Rhys' treat, right, big bro?"