Chapter 38

A/N: WATA turned one a few days ago, but we are continuing the birthday party and starting a Q&A! Write a comment and ask me anything you want about the Dogs, Bats & Monkeys series and if my reply wouldn't be a big spoiler, I'll answer :)

You have a question about my stories in general? Or maybe about writing a story?

Well, now is your chance - ask about that too!

There's no limit to questions - I'll answer them all - so leave as many comments as you like :)

Also, don't forget to enter the giveaway in Ch. 37. The deadline is Monday evening, September 12.

Did you take the character quiz? Who did you get?

What did you think of Alec's sneak peek?

You can read more about him on Sept. 15! There will be trivia, he'll be answering the questions you left him a few weeks ago and there's also a picture quote from his book.

Enjoy the new chapter!

*****

Riley's jaw went slack, his eyes wide in confusion.

At least he isn't screaming, I thought, the reason behind his lack of panic becoming evident when he gave me the oddest of smiles.

He didn't believe me.

"Come on, Rhys, don't... Don't joke like that." His laugh was high-pitched and unnatural.

Perhaps he was beginning to believe me.

"This is a joke, right? Is there some sort of hidden camera or something?"

His head swirled around in frantic search of any suspicious devices. After a thorough examination of our surroundings - one that disproved his theory of hidden cameras and pranks - he returned his gaze to me.

He wiped his hands - probably as sweaty as mine - on his jeans and swallowed hard before he spoke again:

"So what?" He tried to keep his inflection joking, but fear was sliding out of his mouth along with his words. "You are a descendant of the Great King?"

"No." I shook my head, the accusation of being a kin of that horrid man finally allowing me to find my voice. "I'm a descendant of the first shifters, of those who joined their soul with that of a wolf."

I cursed the house's faulty wiring that prevented me from turning the lamps on. In my human form and with only the moonlight flowing in the room, I couldn't see Riley properly. I couldn't see whether he'd turned pale with fear and was about to faint or sickly yellow with nerves and about to throw up.

But even so, I could feel that my mate wasn't alright.

My muscles clenched as I readied myself to catch him when he swayed in his chair, first forwards and then intentionally backwards to straighten himself. Once Riley regained his balance, his eyes - larger than I'd ever seen them - darted towards the door.

"No." My heart clenched as I uttered the word. I felt guilty for diminishing his hopes of an escape, for forcing him he was to stay when he didn't want to, but he had to remain in the house.

He had to, at least until I've proven this was real and not a prank or the ravings of a madman.

"Not yet."

I got up and moved as far away from him as I could, providing him with some distance so he could relax... As much as an any boy could relax when his world was suddenly reshaping around him, taking forms he'd never thought possible.