Chapter 45

A/N: Quote from Chapter 30 of You are the Answer. The conversation is between Riley and his friend and colleague Winnie who discuss whether it's too soon for Rhys and Riley's relationship to head into a serious direction.

 The conversation is between Riley and his friend and colleague Winnie who discuss whether it's too soon for Rhys and Riley's relationship to head into a serious direction

*****

"You know it's going to rain, right?" Kennedy asked, placing his chin on the back of the chair.

"Yeah, I'm going to take an umbrella," I answered as I shoved myself into a light green t-shirt.

"Just making sure," he stretched, then leaned his front against the back of the chair again, "I don't want the rain to ruin your date with Riley."

If anything would ruin our date, it would be Riley changing his answer.

I didn't voice my fears aloud and I shook my head in a futile attempt to stop mulling over this matter. It had been all I could think about since I drove Riley to his apartment after our mate talk.

What if he had changed his mind?

I'd tried to convince myself that that could be a good thing, that earlier he had been too drunk on emotions to give me a sober answer and that if he was going to say no to the mating ceremony when we met today, then I just had to work to make that no a sure and irrefutable yes in the future.

I headed for my bedroom door and Kennedy got up from the chair and followed me downstairs.

"Don't forget your jacket."

I rolled my eyes at him.

"You are worst than mom sometimes, you know that?" I nudged him with my elbow before I took my black leather jacket off the clothes hanger and draped it over my shoulders.

"It's not like you wouldn't have told me the same if I was the one going out," my baby brother pointed out.

"And are you planning to go out?"

"A bunch of us are going over to Jizelle's house."

"Take an umbrella and don't forget your jacket," I said, doing my best to imitate our mother's tone.

It was his turn to do the eyeroll.

"Very funny, bro."

I smiled and reached for the door handle.

"Call me if something happens between you and Riley." I heard from behind me as I walked to my car. "Or at least text me."

I didn't respond verbally, but I waved to let him know I'd heard him. I didn't trust my voice to be steady when I thought of what that 'something' might be.

As I unlocked the car door, I looked up. The dark clouds had gathered, obstructing the warm sunlight. The first heavy raindrops began to fall.

*****