Chapter 48

"I want to speak to the witness," the Detective declared.

"Well," Keri straightened and pulled her shirt down, "I'm in the middle of a questions session with my pack; you'll have to wait."

With that, my Alpha turned around to face her wards once more, speaking louder than she had with Callum so they could hear her.

"Anything else you'd like to know? Yes?" She prompted, pointing at Jizelle's mom.

"What steps have you taken to assure our safety?" The older woman asked.
"For now it's just the extra people we have in the field, but I'll be sending replacements out in an hour or so. After that, I'm summoning the Council so we could discuss a new defence strategy and come up with a new patrol schedule; the intruder might have had a lucky break, but it's more likely that they know about our current one. Anyone else?"

She look around the room, her eyes settling on the Beta who preceded me.

"Aunt Olivia?"

"And you will be sending extra patrols out there on other days as well?" Olivia asked. "Not only today?"

"Of course." The Alpha nodded, then turned to her cousin. "Jared?"

"How long are we going to be absent from school?"

"Yeah, I have a date." Kennedy quipped and a few pack members laughed. Our Alpha smiled, but our guest seemed to miss the humor in my baby brother's words; Callum's bushy eyebrows furrowed, his arms crossing over his chest.

"If we don't catch them, you'll stay on Silver Bullets ground for the rest of the week and after that, you'll have your parents and other members of the pack drive you to school," Keri replied and the teenagers groaned their protests. My friend allowed them a couple of minutes to vent, then raised her hands to silence them.

"Your safety is our primary concern, not how many cool points you'll lose by having mommy or daddy drive you to school. Not negotiable." She paused, prepared for an outcry that didn't come. "Any more questions?"

When no one raised a hand, she continued:

"Then you are dismissed. I'll contact the Council when I have a set time for the meeting."

The Bullets began to leave. I put my hand on Riley's shoulder to let him know we'd be staying behind. A few minutes later, it was only the two of us, Keri, the Detective and Conrad and his family.

"You had an intruder and yet you let that kid joke about a date?" Callum's gruff voice broke the silence. "Not very respect-inducing, is it?"

"His name is Kennedy and it was his way to lighten the mood," Keri explained evenly, but I could detect a hint of anxiety underneath her calm. "I assure you, he realizes this is a serious matter."

"I hope he does. So which one is my witness?" The Detective pointed with a large hand between Riley and Ivan.

"Your witness?" Keri raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow.