Chapter 26

A/N: I'm taking part in another Wattpad Block Party and have to prepare a post for it. Last year, it was a sneak peek from Keri's Sentiments & Reason (link in the comments); this year, I'm thinking of a post with writing tips. If any of you have questions about writing and posting on wattpad - covers, titles, character development, how to get reads, etc. - ask in the comments and I'll try to include my answer in the post.

Do you prefer that over a sneak peek?

I have some time before I have to prepare the post so if a lot of you want a sneak peek instead, that's what I'll write. After all, how can I say no to my favorite readers?

*****

Brown letters spelling CLOSED greeted me when I finally arrived at the Milk and Cream. I looked through the glass too see that my mate and his short-sized, hot-tempered friend were the only ones in the café. The woman was cleaning the tables and Riley was frowning at his phone, a water bottle in his right hand.

I rapped on the door and his tense shoulders slacked when he saw me. He left the bottle at the bar and pocketed his phone as he quickly approached me. As soon as he unlocked the door, I leaned down to kiss him.

"What happened?" He asked without even greeting me first or moving in for the kiss. I looked towards his friend; even though she tries to hide it, it was obvious she was straining to hear us.

I shook my head.

"I'll tell you in the car, okay? But nothing bad," I quickly added to put his mind at ease and this time he allowed me to peck him. "Can I help you finish up here?"

"Oh, I'll do that; you two go..." Winnie's voice trailed off when she realized that she was not supposed to be listening in on us.

"Thanks, Winnie." Riley smiled at her and untied his apron before going to the back of the café, probably to stuff it into a locker; he'd told me his boss had provided one for each employee.

"We can wait and drive you home," I suggested to Winnie, hoping she'd refuse and I wouldn't have to wait longer to spend some time alone with my mate.

Thankfully, that was exactly what she did.

"One of my neighbors works in the perfumes section; she'll give me a lift."

Riley rejoined us and I was pleasantly surprised when he took my hand as he led me to the exit. I squeezed his fingers and opened the door just as he was wishing his colleague a good night.

"Night, hun," she replied in turn.

"I'll tell you in the car," I said as I closed the café door, knowing what he was about to ask me.

An adorable growl of annoyance left his lips and brought a small smile to mine. He didn't make any more inquiries and we walked in silence towards my vehicle. A splash made me look down when we reached the parking lot; Riley shook his right leg and glared at the puddle he'd stepped in.

I opened the car door and Riley slumped down on the front seat. He barely waited for me to get behind the wheel and my question - 'Do you want to take your sneaker off' - was cut after 'take' by his 'So what happened?'

I squeezed his hand.

"Nothing bad, I told you."

Nothing good either, but at least we are in agreement about having to find a way to get Ace out of town.

"I phoned Keri," I went on, "then that division I told you about and they sent a team to keep an eye on him. The hunter knows they are there, so he won't try anything."