Chapter 39

A/N: Now for the winner from WATA's Birthday Giveaway. It's...

LeenaBlue. Congratulations! Tell me which of the three prizes (a chapter dedication, naming someone/a pack after you, a Wattpad shout-out) do you want ^_^

And speaking of prizes: the lovely Malice_Authors girls are organizing a Story Fair!

It's an online event, held this Sept. 17 and 18 on facebook and which features Wattpad stories. I'll be featuring WATA and I've prepared another giveaway, especially for the occasion; the winner gets a chapter dedication, a Wattpad shout-out and a review of the first chapter from their book.

The links to the event and the one to Alec Trivia & Mini Interview are in the first comment.

*****

"I'll call you a cab." I said quietly, my voice sounding foreign to my ears. "With a human driver, to take you home. We won't stop you." My eyes burned and I sniffed. "And you never have to see me again."

That promise was the only comfort I could offer him now.

I took a step away from him.

Away from the person I'd waited for all my life, away from my happiness... But not away from my despair. It tagged along with me, clinging tight, wrapping around my chest like a snake crushing its pray, squeezing the air out of my lungs...

It tagged along and it would follow me forever.

"Wait."

I paused, my body tensing up.

Riley's voice had been so quiet... Had I imagined it?

Was my mind playing tricks on me, giving me what my heart most craved?

Was I starting to lose my sanity?

I slowly turned around and took another step, this time towards my mate. He raised his hand up - palm towards me - and I halted once more.

"Wait," Riley repeated. "Don't go, but stay over there."

I nodded and chewed my lips.

He wasn't ready for me to come near him, but at least he wasn't sending me away.

Dare I hope...?

His arm dropped and he hugged his knees, pulling them to his chest again, his body rocking to and fro.

What was going through his head right now?

Riley closed his eyes and dropped his knees, his hands reaching up to massage his forehead. His fingers moved in quick circles over his skin while I waited for my verdict.