Chapter 7: Reality

No... no, she won't keep me.

I picked up my phone and dialed Nick's number. When he answered, he sounded surprised that I'd called, but even more surprised at my request.

"You want to spend the night here tonight?" he asked, and I could practically see the grin on his face through the phone. "But we've not even had a first date, yet."

"I'm being serious. I need you to... to watch me."

"Really? You're kinkier than I thought." He laughed.

"Nick," I fussed. "I said I'm being serious." I lowered my voice. "Something's going on and I'm... I'm afraid. I'm afraid to be alone."

"Aren't your parents home?"

"Yes, but they don't understand; I don't understand. I feel like I'm losing my mind." I felt a knot rise up in my throat, but swallowed it back down, taking a deep breath, not wanting to cry. "I just know you'll understand if something paranormal happens and my parents won't. I think Mom already thinks I've lost it. Maybe I have. Either way, you'll be there with me, just in case."

He was quiet for a few seconds before agreeing. "You better not snore."

"Snoring should be the least of your worries. Head spinning and projectile vomiting, on the other hand, could pose a problem."

"Yeah, that is a bit of a turnoff."

"This is strictly a platonic sleepover. Don't forget that," I reminded him.

"I know, I know. And I won't get off work for a couple more hours, so will you be okay till then?"

"I've survived the last two, so...." I didn't finish, not wanting to jinx myself. "I'll be see you in a bit."

As I laid in my bed, glancing around my room every so often, making sure my feet weren't close to the edge, like that would even matter, I willed time to move a little faster, but as usual, it was unrelenting. Not wanting to lie in my bed for the next two hours, I went ahead and got my bag ready, picking out my pajamas carefully; I wanted to be completely covered.

I thought about what I was going to tell Mom and Dad, afraid they wouldn't let me go anywhere after my fall. Even though I was eighteen, as long as I lived under their roof, they said I still had to follow their rules, so technically, it was like I was still sixteen. I planned on telling them I was just going to Tanya's, and that she was going to be home tomorrow to stay with me, and I prayed to God it worked.

Once I checked my bag about a dozen times, assured I had everything I'd need for a night or two, I looked at the clock. Only twenty minutes had passed.

"Oh, my word."

I went ahead and called Tanya so she'd be in on my... lie. Ugh! I hated lying to my parents, but I didn't know what else to do. As I explained what had been going on, Tanya told me about the bad dreams and weird things that had happened to her, which had all but stopped now.

"Yeah, I was scared out of my mind," she said. "I just knew that thing followed me home, but everything seems to be okay now."

I'm sure it was, since that thing seemed to be focused on me. "Well, I'll let you know how it goes."

My voice sounded tired, reflecting how I felt, mentally, at least. One plus side to that is that I didn't have to worry about the night with Nick being weird, since I'd probably fall right to sleep as soon as I laid down.

Of course, I should've known better. Sleep was no longer so easy.

***