Chapter 17: Fading Away

Nick

On the way to the asylum, I could tell I wasn't the only one who was nervous, since we'd ridden in silence most the way. Usually, we were cutting up and excited before going on an investigation, but this was nothing like any investigation we'd ever been on before. Not knowing what to expect changed things just a bit. This could go south real quick, and we all knew it.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, letting me know I had a message, and when I pulled it out, I was shocked to see who it was from. "How ironic," I said, causing Erik and Alex to turn towards me. "It's from Amber."

"What did she say?" Erik asked. I shook my head, reading her message silently.

Hey, I got out today for 'good behavior'. I need to talk to you. Can you come pick me up?

I quickly sent her a message back. No, we are headed to the asylum. I need you to stay with your mom until you hear back from me, okay?

Why? What are you going to do?

I made sure to choose my words carefully. I'm taking care of this once and for all.

How?

Don't worry about that. Just stay with your mom until I call you back. I hit send, but then added, Promise me you'll make sure you're not alone.

I promise

When she didn't send anything after that, I wanted to talk to her. I wanted to make sure she was okay, but we were almost there and I knew I needed to wait. So instead of calling, I sent one last message as we pulled up the road that led to the asylum.

Are you okay?

Oh, I'm great, she replied. I didn't know whether she was being smart or honest, but I just dropped it, knowing I'd know once I actually got to talk to her.

As we pulled into the parking lot and Mark turned off the van, we all sat there silently for a few seconds before I finally opened my door and got out, pulling my crutches out behind me. As usual, it felt like we were all being watched, but once we walked inside, the feeling dissipated.

"It doesn't feel as creepy as it did before," Erik mentioned.

"Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing," I admitted. "For some reason, that bothers me a bit."

"When is Timothy gonna be here?" Alex asked.

"He said he'd be here around seven--" I looked at the time on my phone "--so in about thirty minutes."

"Good. That'll give us time to set things up," Alex said, pulling some crosses out of his backpack. "Let's split up. You two go upstairs," he pointed to Erik and me, "and we'll go over this floor."

I nodded, knowing we had to, but reluctant to move from the safety of the front door, remembering what had happened the last time I'd been here. "You ready?" I asked Erik, since he'd only brought in a small bag.

"Yeah, I'm good," he replied nervously.

"What all you got in there?" I asked, pointing at his bag.

"Holy water... sage... salt."

"Okay, then, let's go."

We headed upstairs, Erik a little faster than me, and once I finally stepped out of the stairway, Erik turned to me, pulling a squirt gun out of his bag and holding it in front of his chest. "Where do you want to start?"