Chapter 10: Just Do It

For the past week I've had little to no sleep. Everything seemed to be going great after staying a couple of nights at Nick's house, but not anymore. Realistic nightmares have made sleeping less than desirable. People at the small college I attended even asked me if I've been sick-like, deathly ill. So, apparently, the stress wasn't just taking a toll on me mentally, but physically, too.

The second night at Nick's came and went with almost no activity at all, as well as the next few days, but then one day, all hell broke loose again. Of course, I'd have to be at school when it did.

It had started out like any other typical day; I was almost late to my first class, causing Mr. Vick to give me the stink-eye as I walked in and sat down at my usual seat near the back, then I met up with my friend, Alyssa, afterwards, where we walked to our second class together. After that, I had a break, which was when I'd use the restroom and eat a snack before my last class of the day. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, which actually felt pretty great, until I went to use the bathroom.

Just like always, I took the longer way around to waste some time and stopped at the bathrooms near the gym, which happened to be connected to the locker rooms. They were never crowded, which was the main reason I used those instead of the ones closer to my next class, so I wasn't surprised to find them empty. I went into the stall on the very end, the one closest to the locker room side, which was the one I always used, thinking of how monotonous I was. That's when I heard a noise.

It sounded like one of the showers, so I assumed I wasn't as alone as I'd thought I was and didn't think much of it. But after a mere five seconds or so, it shut off. I listened for movement, maybe someone opening or shutting one of the shower doors, but didn't hear anything... until the water cut back on again.

This time, it didn't shut off, so I assumed someone had just come in to shower. As I walked out of the stall, however, I realized I was wrong. The showers were in the next room, lining the back wall, and the second one from the left was full of steam, but not a person. I stepped into the entryway to the locker room, looking around for signs of someone-anyone-but it was totally empty.

It was at that moment that the lights went out, plunging me into total darkness. Being in a bathroom, in the dark, yet again, reminded me too much of the asylum. I could hear my heart thudding loudly over the water running, pounding in my ears. I turned to run, hoping I was heading in the right direction, and realized I was when I hit the door at full speed, busting my nose against the metal, stars exploding through the darkness. I reached down to grab the handle, and just like before, the door wouldn't open.

I felt around for the light, surprised that it came on when I flipped the switch. I tried the door again, but it wouldn't budge. It was then I noticed the water wasn't running anymore. At this point, I didn't really care; I just wanted out.

I knew there was another door that led out to the gym, but it was through the locker room, and I felt much better standing in the corner by this door. That is, until all the sinks next to me turned on.

I bolted for the other door, hoping it would open, but as soon as I entered the locker room, the lights went out again. Caught by surprise, I forgot about the benches that sat in the center of the room. The first one clipped my legs, causing pain to tear through my knees as I went head first over it. Apparently, the second bench stopped my fall, but I don't remember much of that part, since it knocked me out cold. The only thing I remember is feeling like I was thrown into battle, having my knees blown up right before I was shot in the head, which ended it all.

I woke up in an ambulance, wondering how I was going to explain this one.

***