Chapter 22: Double Whammy

That night, I was surprised we were allowed to sleep. I was told we needed to be rested for tomorrow, so I was afraid exactly what we would be doing. Whatever it was, I was ninety-nine point nine percent sure I'd rather die than do it.

Once I was pretty sure Kylie and I would be left alone, and she promised she wouldn't freak out and run or anything, I took the tape off her mouth, then her hands and legs, which I knew hurt her, since it felt like it was taking some skin, too. I also knew I'd pay for it later, since I was told not to touch it.

"What's going on?" she whispered, rubbing her lips, which were a bit swollen.

We were both huddled in Nick's bed, hoping we'd be left alone long enough to figure out some sort of plan. "Listen... I can't explain everything," I told her, "so just trust what I'm about to say, okay?"

She nodded her head. "I'll try."

"Nick isn't Nick. That's not him. There's this... this...." I wasn't sure how to explain without making the situation seem even more crazy than it was. "Remember when we investigated that asylum?" She nodded again. "Well, there was something... something dark there. It followed us home, but focused on me. That's why so much stuff has happened since then."

Her eyes got wide. "The knife thing?"

I was thankful she was catching on faster than I thought she would. "Yes, that was it, not me. I'd never cut myself or threaten you or Mom." A noise in the kitchen prompted me to hurry the story up. "Anyway, it can... take over. It possessed me and now it's got Nick."

There were tears in her eyes. "You weren't crazy."

"No, I wasn't."

"I'm sorry, I—"

I cut off her apology. "We don't have time for that now. Right now, we've got to figure out a way to get you out of here."

"Me? What about you?"

"I can't leave. I'm the only person who knows about all this. Well, except for maybe Erik, but he's... anyway, I need to figure out how to stop this once and for all."

"But you can't—"

"You said you would trust me," I interjected. "I need you to trust me." She nodded. "Okay, listen. I don't want to go to the police unless it's a last resort because they won't understand. They'll see Nick as the murderer and—"

"Murderer?"

"Shh, just listen. That thing has already forced Nick to do something really bad, so if we go to the police, Nick, who is innocent, will go to jail."

"Who cares? We've got to get out of here."

I could see her point, but I didn't agree. Not just yet. "He's my friend, Kylie. I can't do that to him. Just let me try."

"Try what? It looks like he's got the upper hand right now."

"Not he... it. It's not Nick in there," I reminded her.

"Whatever, Amber. What do you want me to do?"

I debated on my plan, wondering if it would really work. At this point, we had no other choice, and at least that way, if it did, Kylie would be safe. And hopefully my family, who I prayed would understand, would be safe, too.

I quickly told her what to do as she stretched out her arms and legs, which still must've been hurting from being taped up. "There's no way I can—"

"Yes, Kylie, you can." I grabbed her hand. "I know you can do this."

She looked doubtful, but nodded, anyway. "Okay."