Chapter 32: Not in a Million Years

The ride home from Edda's that night felt strange, like we'd just watched a really wacked-out movie and were trying to wind down from it and return to reality. In this case, however, the movie was our life, and reality was wacked out.

"So, how do you know Edda?" I asked, since he never told me.

"Well, her and my grandmother used to be really good friends before she died, so I'd end up spending a lot of time over there. She'd watch me sometimes if Gran had something to do, which was always entertaining," he said with a grin. "I guess you could say she's the reason I've always been interested in the paranormal. Being around someone like that, how could you not be? Anyway, when Gran died, I didn't see her as much. It's my fault, mainly, since she doesn't get out very much. I've not taken the time to come out and visit her like I should have. Not until I needed her help." He took a deep breath. "Yeah, I'm an ass, I guess."

"No, you're not," I told him. "Life happens and we get busy. It's not your fault."

"Yeah, it is. She was like family and...." He shook his head, obviously mad at himself. "Seeing her makes me think of Gran and how bad I miss her. I just didn't want that reminder so I stopped going to see her. Pretty selfish and weak on my part, but the truth."

"Maybe you should tell her that. Explain why you've stayed away so long."

"I'm sure she knows. She seems to know everything else."

"Maybe so, but I'm sure she'd like to hear it. Confirm what she may or may not already know."

He reached through the dark and slid his hand into mine. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"I know I'm right."

"You know, you remind me a lot of her." Even in the dark, I could tell he was smiling.

"Who? Edda?"

He laughed. "No, Gran."

"Really? Was she always right, too?" I teased.

More laughter. "No, but she thought she was."

Nick's grandmother was both his mom and dad growing up. Despite her age, and the fact that her husband had died many years ago, she did a great job. He said she'd always felt it was her responsibility to fix what her daughter messed up, which was his life. She'd married a controlling man who didn't want to raise another man's child, so she didn't force him to, leaving Nick with her mom and moving to the other side of the country.

"I wish I could've gotten to meet her," I admitted.

"I do, too. She'd love you." He squeezed my hand. "And not just because I do."

There he went, making me love him even more.

"So, do you think whatever Edda is doing is gonna work?" I asked, not really believing in Wicca, witchcraft, or whatever magic mojo she was using to draw this woman to us.

"If Edda says it'll work, it'll work."

The farther away from her house we got, the more nervous I felt. "But how will using the traces of energy it left on us do anything to attract it?"

"She's able to tap into energies. I don't know how she does it, but she does. As soon as she touched me on the porch, she sensed the negativity that's still on me. She's able to focus on different energies and push and pull them at will. Not true energy, but residual. I mean, she can manipulate true energy, too, but she won't, at least not unless she absolutely has to."

We talked a bit more about his time with Edda and some of the things he'd witnessed growing up, making me trust in her abilities a lot more than I did. It also made me even more afraid that our plan was going to work, knowing either Nick or I would soon be face to face with an evil-filled, possessed woman.