Chapter 28: Erik

I'd worried all day about Nick and whether or not they'd find some kind of evidence against him, but when I talked to him at lunch, he seemed okay, assuring me it'd be alright. Whether he really thought that or not, he sounded confident, calming my worry just a bit. Not a whole lot, but enough.

Mom was glad that Nick's leg was okay and that he was going to be coming over for dinner. I was, too, hoping life could finally get back to normal. It was hard to even remember what normal was like, at least for any extended period of time. This evening would prove to be no exception.

Once I made it to Nick's house, he was waiting for me on his patio. Usually, he'd be sitting there smoking a cigarette, but after everything that had happened, he had no desire to smoke. He'd said that thing had made him kill someone, yet wouldn't let him smoke a cigarette.

"It's a bit ironic that smoking is frowned upon in the world of evil, but killing's okay," he'd said when I asked why he'd stopped. "I guess it's the one good thing that's come out of all this."

"And me," I reminded him. "It's brought us closer together."

He smiled. "No, I'd have snagged you anyway, it just might've taken a little longer." I knew he was probably right.

He stared as I walked up his driveway, grinning at me, making me self-conscious of every step I took. "What are you doing out here?" I asked.

"Watching you... and that dress. I don't think I've ever loved summer so much."

"Shut up." The sun was warm, but not in comparison to the heat coming off my face.

"What? I can't help it if summer looks good on you." He grabbed his crutches and stood up, meeting me at the top of his driveway. "Are you sure you don't want me to drive? I can, so you don't have to get back out."

"No, I don't mind. It'll give you a break and we can talk on the way."

A smirk appeared on his face and he started to add something to that, but didn't, simply saying, "Okay, let's go," instead.

I took his crutches from him and forced them into my tiny back seat as he got in, telling me everything the detective had said.

"So, when he asked about Andrew, I acted clueless, like I had no idea he'd been... he'd died." I could tell he didn't want to talk about it, but kept talking, anyway. "He asked when the last time I'd talked to him was, and I told him I wasn't really sure, which was the truth, since time seems blurred then. I told him it had been a few weeks or a month or so ago, that I was going to set up another investigation with him. He then asked if I met with him, and I told him I went down there when he'd told me to, but the doors were locked and I couldn't get in. I told him when I called to see where he was that he didn't answer. That much I do remember. It made me call him to meet us and then called to let him know we were there, but he didn't answer, opening the door when he saw me." He stopped talking and looked out his window for a minute before continuing. "So, technically, any phone records or me being there, if they could somehow check tire tracks or anything, should match what I told him today. I know it made sure not to leave any evidence behind, not wanting me to be arrested, since it planned on using me for a while."

"I'm glad it didn't," I admitted.

"Yeah, but I hate it for Erik, if it has, in fact, got him now." He looked back out his window. "I hate it."

"Yeah, I do, too."

Usually, at this point, he'd make some snide remark about Erik and how I was so infatuated with him, teasing me until I smacked him, but he didn't. "Anyway, he asked when the last time I'd seen Andrew was, and I told him the truth, or at least the truth that applies to me. I tried to answer as honestly as I could in regard to myself, hoping everything checks out. I guess we'll see... if they happen to come knocking on my door and throw me in prison for murder."