Self harm

Trigger Warning: Self harm

PLEASE READ BEFORE: I understand self harm is a big problem to many, and again I know these tips are not going to cure anybody, myself out of all people know that hearing constant certain nags are very very annoying. Having issues with self harm can also be a part of an addictive habit, or lack of self awareness. If you are reading this because you are trying to help someone else, I urge you to carefully ask or learn why this person hurts themselves and how. As the reason they cut can be solved in a different away. And some people can not control how, when, and why they hurt themselves. 

Self harm can come in different ways, cutting, hair tie snapping, pulling hair, picking, burning, hitting, not eating, throwing themselves or yourself against hard surfaces, smoking, drinking and the over use of drugs are many. It is hard to aid in all these types in one part. I will cover as much as I can at a time.

This chapter aids mostly in those who have more control of what they do when in a self harm trance.

-Rub ice on the area where you want to hurt. 

- Place a rubber band or elastic around your wrist or ankle and snap it whenever you feel like harming yourself

- Place band aids on yourself whenever you want to hurt yourself. For example, if you feel like cutting, place a band aid instead. Feel like cutting twice? Put on two bandaids.  Continue the process until it becomes restless or annoying maybe. This can help you show how much real self control you have and realize the actual harm you could have done.

-Draw on yourself instead with markers or ball point pens.

- Remember and try to remember, hurting yourself solves nothing. Remember the short relief you get and remember, it is short. 

- Hurting yourself can lead to more serious health issues. Punctured vein, infection, or death. I know a lot us do not hurt ourselves with that intention.

- Focus on yourself and your body. Whenever you are in a negative state of mind focus on the positives your body does for you, do not punish your body as it does everything it can to keep you alive. 

Here is a really great website for more information from professionals! 

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/anxiety/cutting-and-self-harm.htm