Chapter 6: Chemistry

Elizabeth's POV

The next two days have flown past quickly but monotonously. Harry and I haven't really talked considering that whenever I tried to strike a conversation with him, he shut me out. Not in a rude way, it's just that he seems determined to keep everything about him to himself despite my attempts to get to know him better. It feels like I'm living alone, both of us taking care of our needs separately. The only good thing about our life together so far was finding out that Harry is a chemist. We're actually transferred in the same drug company and I feel like it might be a good thing.

Harry has decided to make things easier for both of us and settled on sleeping on the couch despite my protests that I should be the one to do that. I was glad he did that, it is extremely uncomofrtable sharing a bed with a stranger.

I glance at the clock hanging on the wall, reading seven am. Both Harry and I need to be at work at eight and he still hasn't woken up. When I enter the living room, I am surprised to see Harry all dressed up in a white button-down shirt and black jeans. His hair is still damp from showering, his fingers pushing it back; I've noticed he does that a lot.

"Hello," he says, looking uncertain for some reason, clearing his throat afterward. "I mean, good morning."

I smile. "I wasn't sure if you will be able to get ready on time, so I've made you a sandwich and packed it." I hand him a foiled sandwich, avoiding eye contact with him. I decided to try to take slow steps to get to know him and small gestures such as this one might be helpful.

"Thank you, Elizabeth." He shyly looks at the bag as if it's a very precious thing and not a simple sandwich. "Are you ready to go?"

"It's Beth," I remind him, unable to keep a soft smile off my face. "And yes, I am."

As usual, he doesn't reply, heading towards the door as I silently follow him, glancing down at my rucksack to make sure I have everything I need. He suddenly stops walking and I bump into his back, raising my brow questioningly as he turns aroud to face me.

"I know I am not very approachable, but I don't want you to think I'm a completely shut down person. I just don't like to talk about certain things," he suddenly tells me, taking me by surprise.

"With time, you will be ready to talk and I'll listen. Until then, I'll do the talking." I grin at him.

He tilts his head aside and observes me for a few moments, looking as if he's trying to figure me out. "Let's go, we don't want to be late on our first day."

. . . .

Harry is quiet as he drives through the city toward the drug company we're going to work in. On the other hand, I haven't stopped talking since we left the house, passionately talking about my expectations at work. I don't fail to notice a few glances he sends my way, looking away immediately when he realises I've caught him. It makes me glad he doesn't look the slightest bit bored with me.

Once we arrive and he parks the beautiful grey audi we got, we walk towards an impressive tall glass building, the sky reflecting on its surface. We enter inside, my eyes widening at how sterile the place looks, the walls, floors, carpet, everything being coated in white.

"I'm not sure in which lab you're supposed to work in, so just go on the highest floor and ask in the administration office," Harry tells me, gesturing toward a few lifts settled on the other end of the lobby.

"Oh, and where are you going?" I ask, anxiety settling in the pit of my stomach. I don't handle change very well and there has been a lot of new things to get used to in the past few days.

"To work?" He answers with a hint of sarcasm. When he takes in my frightened expression, he sighs, his palm rubbing the back of his neck. "Look, I have some things to take care of, but if you need anything, look for me on the fifth floor on the chemistry department."