Chapter 23: Game

Elizabeth's POV

"I can't believe you've brought those with you," Harry complains as we make our way inside our house.

I insisted on taking a couple of movies and books from his old family house with us because it would be such a waste to leave them there. Crossing the border wasn't a problem at all since I hid some in the car and even stuffed some under my clothes and when the guards wanted to check on me, Harry only gave them a glare and used his father's name. It was hilarious to say the least.

I feel much better since my mother came to visit earlier today. Harry informed her where we were staying before we left, so I had the chance to say the proper goodbye and apologise for the way I behaved. I was lucky she was understanding, I don't think I really deserved it after leaving like that.

Harry and I did not talk about what happened last night between us and I'm partially grateful for it, it'd probably make things uncomfortable. But then again, I feel like what I confessed was huge and Harry didn't really bother to say something about it.

"If you went through the trouble of collecting them, then I think it was worth it," I say as I place all the books and the movies on the coffee table in the living room.

"Admit it, they're only a distraction," he half smiles as he leans against the wall behind me, crossing his arms over his chest.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you know, now that you realized how attractive I am, you need something to keep you distracted," he forms that annoying smug expression.

I groan and roll my eyes, ignoring the fact I'm probably blushing. "Don't flatter yourself."

"I don't need to, you're doing that for me," his smile grows wider, both of his dimples showing.

"You're hilarious." I purse my lips as I start sorting the books on the almost empty bookshelf placed in the corner of the room. "How are you even in such a good mood? Look at you, you're smiling." I raise my eyebrow, sarcasm laced in my tone.

"I just am." He shrugs. 

"You're so innocent, it's amusing," he says. "Wait, have you ever..." he trails off.

I almost choke on air. Is he asking what I think he's asking? "W-what?"

His eyes widen, his cheeks suddenly flushing. "Oh, no, I meant... did you like someone else? Before The Bonding?" He casts his gaze down, embarrassed.

"I had someone before, but it didn't last very long," I admit flatly, arranging the books by size to keep myself occupied.

"Oh?" He sounds surprised. "Who would have thought?"

"It's not how you think it is."

"Then how is it?"

"I won't say."

"Why not?"

"I enjoy my privacy," I use his own words against him while forcing a smile.

"Oh, so you-"

"I won't have this discussion."

"You're being unfair."

"Well, go rant about it in your journal," I snap.

"It's not a journal." He frowns. "Nor is it a diary, we've established that already."

"Oh? Well, it looks like a journal to me."

"I see what you're trying to do," he says, pointing a finger at me. "Reverse psychology. It won't work."

"Sure, one can't compete with such a clever mind like yours," I roll my eyes. For some reason, I feel much more comfortable around Harry than I ever did. I don't know if admitting the truth was liberating in a way, but I quite enjoy this new feeling. "Why are you even so curious about this? You've never seemed to care before." I narrow my eyes at him.