Chapter 9: Questions

Elizabeth's POV

"Hey!"

A quiet unfamiliar voice slowly pulls me out of my slumber. I groan as the bright lights above me bring tears to my eyes. I try to shield them, but I feel something tied around my wrists. I lift my head, taking in the straps holding my wrists in place. A headache is settled in my temples, my throat dry. It appears I'm in some kind of a laboratory but have no memory of getting here.

I start panicking, my chest beginning to heave, perspiration forming on my skin. "What the hell?"

"Hey, calm down," the same voice says and my head snaps to the left.

My eyes widen as I see the same boy from earlier lying on the identical table as I am, his wrists tied down just like mine.

"Where am I?" I manage to ask as I take in his appearance. A few strands of his dark hair are falling over his forehead, there is a bit of stubble covering his face and his light brown eyes are locked with mine.

"You're in deep shit," he says."What's your name?"

"Beth."

"I'm Zayn." He nods once before continuing, "okay, Beth, whatever you're hiding, they want to find out what it is. You can only hope someone will come for you before they try because these guys don't mess around."

"They? Who are they?" I tug at the straps holding my wrists in panic.

"Keep your voice down, they could be here at any second," he whispers and rolls his eyes. "It's Gerald and his minions. You must've done something, otherwise you wouldn't be here." His glum features soften as he notices a terrified look on my face. "Look, I'm sure my friends are on their way to find me, so you'll be fine, you just have to stay calm."

"Wait, why are you here?"

"I was caught doing something I shouldn't have been doing," he replies. "Now listen, pretend to be asleep when they come-" a sound of muffled voices cuts him off and he quickly lays his head down and closes his eyes. I do the same as the doors swing open and footsteps create an echo throughout the lab.

I try as hard as I can to keep my eyes closed. I focus on keeping my breathing normal, hoping they won't notice I'm awake.

"Is he awake?" A familiar voice belonging to the man I believe Zayn said is Gerald fills the silence.

"No." An unfamiliar male voice replies after a few moments.

"Good, get him out of here and lock him with the rest," Gerald orders. I hear some shuffling noises, unable to determine what's going on.

"What about her?" The man asks and I almost flinch as they mention me.

"I'll take care of her later, you go," Gerald says and I hear what I presume is the sound of wheels moving against the floor. They're taking Zayn away.

Soon, I feel a sting in my arm and the darkness surrounds me.

"Zayn?" I ask, my voice coming out anxious. The memory hole I had is now gone and I can finally put some pieces of the puzzle together.

Only now I notice Liam as he steps inside the house, supporting Zayn's weight. Harry quickly helps them by wrapping his arm around Zayn's waist while Zayn clings onto him with his other arm. The three of them stagger toward the living room, Harry and Liam carefully lowering Zayn on the couch. His black hair is tousled and there's a bruise forming under his eye.