Chapter 21: Disappointment

Elizabeth's POV

"Oh my God, Beth?" My mother says in disbelief once she opens the door of our house.

I smile widely at her and she immediately engulfs me in a tight hug, my arms wrapping around her neck. I close my eyes and inhale her familiar scent - she smells like home. I didn't know how much I've missed her until now. I pull back once I realise it's getting awkward, especially since Harry is standing aside.

"How are you here? We thought..." her eyes trail to Harry. "Oh, you must be Harry," she says to him with a smile.

He nods, taking her hand in his and giving it a light peck. "It's a pleasure to meet you," he says, giving her one of his bright grins. I barely contain myself from rolling my eyes at his obvious attempt to charm my mother.

My mother smiles widely, too widely, as she steps aside, giving us space to come inside. Probably thinking Harry can't see us, she gives me one thumb up while motioning to him. Real subtle, mum.

"I really wanted to visit you," I say once I enter the living room. "Where's dad?" She stares at me with a mild smile plastered to her face, her palm pressed against her chest. She looks nostalgic.

I lift my eyebrows and she blinks a few times. "Oh, right! I'm sorry, it's been so long since I saw you," she says. "I think he's working, let me check." She turns around and walks away.

"Your mum seems nice," Harry says as he sits down onto the couch. "And she has a good taste." His lips twitch. "You can still give up on all this, you know." He leans forward, resting his elbows on his knees.

I shake my head. "No. You just try not to meddle into my conversation with my dad."

I can't wait to find out the truth and I've played so many different scenarios of my conversation with my father. And now that it's time to hear if what everyone's been telling me is the truth, I'm having second thoughts. What if it turns out to be true? I have a certain image of my family in my head and it would he heartbreaking to find out it's anything else but that. Everyone has flaws and I'm aware of that, but this is something else.

When footsteps clatter behind me, Harry practically jumps to his feet and I turn around, seeing both of my parents approaching us. Harry stands beside me, focusing on them.

"Betsy," dad says and I quickly wrap my arms around his neck, earning a light chuckle from him. He hugs me tightly, stroking my hair gently. I've missed him. He's the first one to pull away and I straighten my shirt nervously, looking up at his brown eyes, identical to mine.

"Look at you, you're beautiful." He pinches my cheek and I find myself grinning like a little girl. My mother is standing aside, watching the scene with a soft smile.

I almost forget Harry's in the room with us, but he clears his throat, making his presence known. My dad shifts his gaze to him, his smile disappearing. I gulp nervously as I watch him step toward Harry.

"Hello, sir," Harry says, extending his hand. "It's nice to meet you."

My dad scans him from head to toe before finally taking a hold of his hand, shaking it once. "Likewise," he says. "I had the privilege of meeting your father already."

"Oh, really?" Harry raises his brow and releases his hand, but my dad keeps his grip on his for a few moments before releasing it with a forced smile.

We then take a seat in the living room, engaging in a conversation. Harry has obviously succeeded in charming my mother and now she can't keep a smile off her face whenever he speaks. My father, on the other hand, is watching him carefully, as if he's expecting him to attack. It's not that typical "father doesn't like his daughter's partner" situation, there's something else behind it, I can tell. I'm thrilled I'm able to spend time with my parents again, but this whole situation is making me tense and I just want to get this over with.