Chapter 68: Love

Harry's POV

Beth looks at me expectantly as we sit on a nearby bench, her fingers fumbling nervously. I take a few moments to observe her, it feels like it's been a couple of years since I last saw her.

"I'm so glad you're okay," I start. " I never thought I'd be grateful to that dipshit Daniel. I'm grateful he saved you. I thought you died," I shake my head, shutting my eyes for a few moments. "Damn, you should've seen me. I cried. God, I actually cried."

Her hand suddenly takes mine and my eyes snap up in surprise. I glance down at our joined hands before looking up at her face. The gesture makes me smile since it's symbolic in a way, it's our thing. Her touch and warmth make me feel better instantly, my thumb brushing over her knuckles.

"I love you," she says, smiling at me.

The words I thought I'll never hear again make my heart flutter, a warm feeling spreading through my chest. I feel myself grin, squeezing her hand tighter. I'm so grateful she's alright.

I frown. "Don't die again or you're off my list of people I tolerate."

She laughs loudly, throwing her head back. "You'll have a blank space, so I guess you'll have to write Niall's name twice."

"Who says he's on the list?" I retort and she raises her eyebrow. I sigh. "Okay, I see your point. I might add Zayn or Louis. They used to piss me off and I decided I don't really like them. I still don't like Sam and Jenna," I ramble. "I'll just add myself."

Beth laughs again and I can't help but laugh as well, enjoying the cute sound. I reach to brush her hair behind her ear and she takes my hand, her lips pressing a kiss on my palm.

"Remember when you told me you wish for me to find happiness?" I ask and she nods. "In the past few weeks, I've realised something. I never knew the true meaning of happiness nor how does it feel like. But when you left me, something changed. I realised I miss your annoying remarks, I miss feeling you next to me, I miss your smile and your flushed cheeks, the way your lips feel. I miss the way you made me feel every time you walked into a room."

"What I'm trying to say is, you're my happiness," I continue, taking both of her hands in mine. "I found it with you."

Her lips part in shock and I can see she's trying to process my words. That famous red tint paints her soft cheeks while a beautiful smile spreads across her face. Seeing this is happiness.

"To be honest, I didn't really come up with the speech myself, I had some help since I don't have a single romantic bone in my body, but does it count if I spent hours reading through all of those books you like so I can come up with a way to express myself-"

Beth laughs lightly as she covers my mouth with her palm. "It counts. You're so cute."

"Good, that's a relief." I press my palm against my chest, smiling.

"I love you so much," she says. "I missed you." She pulls her hands from mine, grabbing my cheeks and pulling my face close to hers. Our lips finally connect, a familiar spark appearing between us.

Her proximity electrifies my senses, the need for her to be even closer almost unbearable. It feels amazing to be able to do this again. After thinking you'd lost someone, you learn to appreciate these little things. I suddenly pull away, resting my forehead against hers. After a few moments, I pull away slightly, my palms hold her soft cheeks, my thumbs brushing against them gently. My eyes flick back and forth between hers and I lose myself in them for a few moments.

"I love you, Beth."

It takes me a couple of seconds to register I said those words. The words I never thought I'd say, let alone mean them. The funny part is, I always thought it would be hard to say them, but they felt almost featherlike on my tongue. It came to me so naturally, it felt right to say them.