Chapter 69: War

Elizabeth's POV

After we took a couple of days to rest and let our wounds heal, we're back to the capital. The war is in full force and the government is not planning to let go easily. However, we are growing in number with each hour, more people willing to fight. Even my brother is on our side now. I still haven't fully forgiven him, but the fact he saved my life is making me feel some sort of gratitude.

The rifle I'm holding feels heavy, perfectly representing the weight I'm feeling inside of me. Our footsteps are almost soundless as we make our way through the streets lit with the early morning sun, our senses on alert. Liam and Gemma had managed to track down where is Gerald, and it wasn't surprising to hear he has an army behind him. He's hiding like the coward he is, expecting them to save him.

The city is almost abandoned, nothing but empty buildings surrounding us, our boots creating a patter on the cement as we walk, our eyes in constant movement in case someone decides to surprise us and attack. Heaps of running bodies can be seen lurking between the buildings with rifles in their hands, ready to fight in the war on our side, ready to fight for what's right.

The military compound he's in finally comes to my sight, the adrenaline already coursing through my veins. Faint explosions and gunshots are heard in the distance and I know in a few minutes they'll be all I'll hear. Gerald is still controlling everything, and by killing him, the war in the capital should be over. After it ends here, it will be easier to convince his accomplices to quit fighting. The biggest problem is, Gerald had enough time to prepare himself for this, so we have no idea what's really waiting for us inside.

We've got the street completely surrounded. Liam, Zayn, and Louis are hidden on the far end of the street, close to the entrance of the heavily guarded building. Niall, Gemma, Sam, and Jenna are right behind them, waiting for their sign to attack. Harry, Daniel, and I are at the beginning, serving as their cover and making sure there is no sudden ambush. There are almost hundreds of our men scattered all around, waiting to attack.

"Beth, you okay?" Harry whispers.

I look at him, focusing on the beautiful colour of his eyes. Even in this situation, he looks amazing, the rifle in his hands somehow making him more attractive.

He loves me.
Harry loves me.

To say I was ecstatic when I heard him say it would be an understatement. I never knew hearing the actual words could be so wonderful. But the fact the person who said the words is Harry makes everything thousand times better.

"Yeah," I reply. "I'm nervous, though."

"It'll be okay," he assures me, his hand enveloping mine.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but you two are actually cute," Daniel says.

"Stay out of this," Harry rolls his eyes.

"Wrong timing, Daniel," I comment, my eyebrow raised.

"Better now than never, little sister," he smiles.

"Wait, you honestly think we'll act all friendly with you after all the shit you've pulled?" Harry asks, annoyed.

"I know I did a lot of mistakes and no apology can fix them, but I'm doing everything I can to redeem myself," he replies. "I want this war to be over as much as you do, and I really want you to win. I swear I do."

"Alright, now is really not the time," I say flatly, my eyes looking at him warily. "Look, there's the signal!"

We all focus on Louis who is waving us over. Harry nods, beginning to run down the street, pulling me with him. I hear Daniel follow closely behind as we near them and the compound. We stay close to the buildings, not wanting to risk getting out in the open in case someone from the compound sees us.