Chapter 11: Visit

Elizabeth's POV

I sigh in relief as I finish with the last paper I was supposed to fill. I collect them patiently and sort them out in order, placing them all neatly in a binder. I've always been bad with handling the paperwork, but Liam is the type of person that believes practice leads to perfection. Well, that, and he hates the paperwork, so he made me do it.

As I step out of his office, I collide with someone's chest, dropping the binder which results in the papers flying everywhere. I curse under my breath as I crouch down to collect them, not bothering to look at the person as I mutter a quiet "sorry."

"Miss Elizabeth, it's nice to see you're alright," the familiar voice speaks, sending shivers down my spine. Gerald.

My heart starts beating faster and I look up at him, watching as he crouches down, picking up some of the files scattered around. His steel eyes look into mine, sending unpleasant shivers down my spine, a small smirk resting on his face.

Asshole.

"Why wouldn't I be alright?" I ask, trying to hide the fact I'm nervous and angry at the same time. I managed to avoid him yesterday and I was hoping I won't see him today as well, but I guess I was wrong.

"I heard you weren't able to participate the meeting held two days ago due to some illness?" His voice and expression are filled with fake innocence and I barely contain myself from slapping him across the cheek.

"Yes, you could say I was tied down," I mumble, forcing a smile. "I hope I didn't miss out on too much, I was informed about everything by my superior, after all."

He hands me the papers he's collected and both of us stand up. I quickly stuff the papers back into the binder so I can get away from him as soon as possible. How can he even play nice after what he did? I debate whether or not should I say something, but I decide against it. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is to stay quiet and pretend you know nothing.

"Beth," Liam suddenly says as he approaches me, eyeing me carefully. He looks at me questioningly as if asking if I'm alright and I give him a reassuring smile. Once he makes sure everything is okay, his eyes focus on Gerald.

"Do you need anything, doctor?" Liam asks him sheepishly.

"Yes, I need a word with you, join me in your office," he replies formally. "It was nice seeing you, Elizabeth," he adds with a smirk before brushing past me, entering Liam's office.

Once he steps inside, Liam mouths "Go" to me before following him inside. I nod and walk away as fast as I can, toward the labs.

. . . .

"Hey," Niall's voice makes me lift my gaze to look at him. He's smiling cheekily at me, his hands buried in the pockets of his lab coat. "Where's Liam?"

"He went to talk to Gerald an hour ago, I don't know where is he now," I say and his smile fades away.

His blue eyes widen slightly. "Okay, thanks," he quickly says before turning his back on me.

"Wait! Is everything alright?"

He turns around. "Yeah, don't worry," he replies, taking one step forward. He pauses for a few seconds, his expression thoughtful as his blue eyes lock with mine. "What are you working on?" He asks me with sudden interest.

I lift my eyebrows in surprise as I notice he seems genuinely interested in what I'm doing. I start rambling about DNA samples and genes, gesturing with my hands as I show him my scribbles and findings. I bite my tongue to prevent myself from talking more because I'm never sure where is the line between saying too little and saying too much.