Chapter 46: Explanation

Elizabeth's POV

"I can see we've made the right choice."

"When you got chosen, I had no idea what to expect."

It all makes sense now. I don't know how, but Harry had the right to choose his partner and he chose me so he could get his revenge. My chest feels empty, my heart shattered. I didn't know how deep my feelings for Harry really are until he told me it was all a game to him. How could he do this to me? Why did he choose to get under my skin, to sneak into my heart only to end up tearing it apart?

My eyes are all red and puffy from the crying session I had after I came back to the hideout. It's funny how one person can make you feel happy in one moment and pathetic in the other.

"Are you okay?" Zayn asks me, his hazel eyes showing concern.

I was in no state to drive back with Harry, so I called Zayn to pick me up. We're now sitting in one of the rooms at the hideout where we'll stay for a few days until they come up with a functional plan. I'm hunched on the bed, my back leant against the wall. Zayn is sitting on a chair in front of me, his elbows resting on his knees. Harry has tried to talk to me many times in the past couple of hours, but I didn't want to talk, there's not much you can do when a person feels this way.

"Tell me, Zayn," I say quietly. "Please tell me everything." 

"Are you sure--"

"Zayn. Don't."

He sighs, nodding. "I assume you already know you're different," he starts and I nod. "Alright, imagine two groups of people. The first group consists of people who are fragile, vulnerable, suspicious, curious...everything a human being should be. But then you have the other group. Those who are all that, but with more cunning, manipulative traits. The other group wants power and they want to make sure the first group of people is beneath them, easily controlled."

My eyebrows draw together in confusion and interest. I wrap my arms around my knees, nodding once, letting him know to continue. I think I'm still not fully aware I'll finally find out what was everyone so determined to hide. 

"Let's say the second group has come up with a way to control the first group," he continues. "But everything in life comes with some kind of price. Even though they managed to find a way to control the others, they couldn't control everyone, creating the third group of people. The resistant group."

My eyes widen slightly at the realisation. "I'm in the third group," I state and he nods. "The second group would be Gerald and Ben..." I pause, connecting the dots. "Which means Harry belongs to the first group... the one being controlled."

"They really control everything."

"I want to protect us from control."

"I've been under control my whole life." 

Everything is slowly starting to make sense, the pieces of the puzzle finally fitting together. My heart sinks in my chest when I think about Harry. No matter how deeply hurt and angry I am, I can't help but feel the sting of sadness when I think about his fate.

"And Niall is in the third group as well?" I ask and he nods once again. "And...and what about the rest of you?"

"Aside you and Niall, only Sarah belongs in the third group," Zayn says. "And me, I guess."