Chapter 59: Truth

Elizabeth's POV

I open the door of my room when I hear a familiar voice calling me. I sigh and turn around, my eyes meeting Luke's.

"You really want to get punched," I huff, frustrated.

"I want to make sure you don't hate me," he sighs. "I know I was an ass earlier--"

I raise my hand to silence him, my eyebrows drawing in a frown. When I remember how much of a fool I was almost three years ago when I trusted him and let him manipulate me, my blood boils. At the time, I even thought I loved him, but now I know that was false. I was simply charmed by his sweet talking mouth and pretty face. He was everything I wanted in a partner at the time and that was my downfall.

"Listen, I'm aware I shouldn't have cheated on you and humiliated you. I know I shouldn't have lied to you, I know I played with your feelings, but I really did care about you back then. I know what I did to your brother is despicable, but I swear I regret everything. I was dumb as hell, just a teenager with issues."

I frown, not replying. Knowing him, he'll take back his apology in less than two minutes. That's how he's always been, reckless and careless, focused only on himself and his needs. "If you were in the same building as I was, how come I didn't see you?"

"I made sure to avoid you. I didn't know how to talk to you... I just..." he sighs. "I was a coward. Now that you're here I figured I should try to talk to you. You should know Daniel got me before you, he had taken his revenge against me. For almost three years, I was locked up because of him."

"You got what you deserved, Luke. Your regret means nothing to me, what happened cannot be changed," I say. "There is no hatred, just a lot of bad memories I want to leave behind me."

"Oh. I understand."

Harry walks from behind a corner, a scowl forming on his face at the sight of Luke. His eyebrow raises as he walks toward me, turning his back to me and facing him.

"I'd like to be left alone with my partner," Harry tells him.

"I was just leaving, chill."

"The fact I still see you proves me otherwise," Harry retorts.

"Alright, Luke, bye," I interfere. "Harry, get inside," I lower my voice, tugging his arm.

He hesitantly turns, walking into the room. Luke leaves quickly and I close the door, making sure to lock it behind me. "No need to be jealous, Harry, he's the last person I want around me."

"I'm not jealous, only bothered," he frowns.

I laugh lightly. "Yeah, okay."

"I was just making sure everyone knows their place."

"And what would be my place?" I ask, amused.

"Beside me," Harry says. "You're mine."

My lips part but no words come out. I don't even know if Harry realises the effect his words have on me. Hell, I'm not even sure he does it on purpose.

"I want to talk to you," he continues. "I...look, you know how--no, wait...remember when--fuck," he runs his hand through his hair. "Shit," he huffs. "Fuck."

I cover my mouth, trying to hold in my laughter. "Breathe, Harry."

"I know I'm not perfect," he starts. "My personality, that is," he says cheekily and I can't help but smile and roll my eyes. "But I do know I want to show you I can be as close to that as possible...for you. I'm not good with speeches. I just feel like you don't know what this," he gestures between us, "means to me, and I don't know how else to show it to you."