Caught in the Line of Fire

Chapter 3

"Tara.."

"Tara... Get up"

I felt a hand gently shake me awake from my slumber. "What?" I groaned feeling a pain in my back from sleeping on the couch. "Get up I want to sit down." Christina said looking down at me with no expression. "Are you still mad?" I asked, still not sitting up. "Very. Get your ass up" she orders but I still don't dare to move. She may threaten me but I'm a lot stronger than she is. "TARA GET UP!!!" She yells as I hear Valerie walk down the stairs. "SIT ON THE DAMN FLOOR!!" I snap back and she glares at me. "Fuck you." She snaps and walks back into the kitchen to sit at the table and drink the rest of her coffee. I sit up rubbing my lower back and popping my neck. The couch is not very comfortable...

I walk into the kitchen to get some coffee before I go ready to go to work. I watch as Christina trains her eyes on the table not bothering to look up and see who is in the room with her. "How are you Valerie?" Christina asks totally ignoring me. "I'm good, how are you?" She asks getting some orange juice from the refrigerator. "I'm okay" Christina replies and I roll my eyes. "So your just gonna act like I'm not ev-.. WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR WEDDING RING?!" I snap staring at the empty space on her left hand where her ring should be. "In the bathroom where it's been all night." She replies getting up and emptying her glass. "I'm not just going to stand here and watch my wife lose interest in me for something I didn't even do!" I snap narrowing my eyes at her. "I'm not losing interest in you! Your the one who cheated!!" She yells slamming the cup down onto the counter staring at me. "I didn't cheat!" I yelled but she rolled her eyes. "Fine. I'm going to work." I say and head upstairs to get my uniform on.

I walk back downstairs and see Valerie sling her backpack over her shoulder while Christina grabs her car keys. "Bye mom. I love you" Valerie says hugging me. "Bye sweetheart I love you too. Have a good day at school." I say releasing Valerie and looking at Christina. She just stares at me not knowing what I was going to do. Without saying a word I walk over to her as she lowers her head to the floor not looking up at me. I quietly leaned forward and softly kiss her check feeling her jaw tense up as my lips touched her skin. I pulled away putting my finger underneath her chin tilting her face forwards to look at me. "I still love you" I whisper before pushing my lips onto hers in an attempt for her to forgive me. But, I don't feel anything as I finally pull away and I know that she didn't try to kiss me back. I nod and walk out of the door not knowing how I was going to get through work today.

I walked into the base feeling tired and stressed. "Hey Tara-" "Don't fucking talk to me Lauren." I snap pushing past her revealing a shocked Sylus. "Do you want to tell me what that was all about?" He asks following me into my office with Kent and Vince behind him. "Yesterday she came over to talk to me about work and all of a sudden she trips, I fall back and she holds my waist to steady me. Christina and Valerie walks in and Christina blows up accusing me of cheating on her when nothing happened. Now she's still mad, and won't even wear her wedding ring." I say feeling anger build up inside of me. "Have you tried to talk to her?" Kent asks, his voice full of concern. "Yes, she won't listen to me" I say feeling my chest hurt. "I feel like after seventeen years of marriage she's so mad that she may call it quits." I say feeling tears sting at my eyes.

"No she wont! You just have to get her time" Vince says with a sense of desperation in her voice. "You guys have been through so much it's going to take one of you to die before you two separate. She just feels confused right now. Just try to reason with her nicely." Sylus says and I raise my eye brow. "When did you become a therapist?" I ask smirking. He smiles "I have been for awhile its a side job" he replies winking at me. "If all else fails you can find someone else" Kent says and I look at my desk finding a hard back book. I take it and throw it at him and watch it hit his chest. "Ow! I was just kidding!" He says rubbing his chest. "Do it again and I'll find a dictionary to throw at you" I reply and he pouts. "Your cold" he says and I smile.